I have set a goal for myself to post once a day during the month of November.
So far, so good.
We'll see how the next 25 days go. I hope it helps me count my blessings (since everything I've blogged about thus far represents something I'm thankful for) and keeps me from feeling too down about being 1,300 miles apart from my better half.
Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE to eat, so food is definitely something I'm thankful for. I found this new recipe on My Kitchen Cafe (Seriously, I've got to be Mel's biggest fan but she comes through for me EVERY TIME! Tried and true, baby.) I adapted it slightly and you will find my version below. I served this as pork tacos last night and they were a hit. Your house will smell heavenly, believe me (garlic and onions, mmmm). One of the best things about this recipe is that the left overs can be frozen, so I just have to take them out of the freezer one night after my hubby gets home for a quick and easy meal.
*Disclaimer: This recipe does take a little bit of extra work because you have to brown the pork (which is a big deal for someone like me who despises handling raw meat) and then reduce the sauce, but it is worth it if you are as crazy about Mexican as I am! Trust me on this one! It's delicioso!
Pork Chile Verde
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 pounds boneless pork roast, trimmed of as much fat as possible
Salt and pepper for seasoning roast
2 sweet onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely minced or crushed
1 (15 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon black pepper
5 pounds boneless pork roast, trimmed of as much fat as possible
Salt and pepper for seasoning roast
2 sweet onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely minced or crushed
1 (15 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon black pepper
Cut the roast into 5-6 large chunks. Season the pork generously(very generously) with salt and pepper on all sides. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat until it is hot. Add the pork, being careful not to crowd the pot (brown the pork in shifts, if needed). Brown the pork on all sides until golden and well-browned, about 30 seconds to a minute on each side.
Remove browned pork from pot and place in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic to pot where pork was browned. Cook for 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent, stirring often. Place the garlic and onions in the slow cooker. Stir in the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Remove the roast. Wait 30 minutes for meat to cool slightly so it's easy to shred. Shred and set aside. Pour the remaining liquid and ingredients from the slow cooker into a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil on the stove, and simmer vigorously over medium-low or medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking or burning, until the mixture has reduced and thickened considerably.
Add the shredded pork and sauce back to the slow cooker. Stir to coat the pork with the sauce. Turn on high in order to allow the pork to heat through again.
Serve with tortillas and desired toppings, such as sour cream, cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, and salsa. It is also great on top of lettuce as part of a salad.

4 comments:
Yum, it was sooooo good, thanks girl!
Mmmm! I think I probably make all the recipes that you find and post about. This one looks sooo good! Let's see if I can get motivated enough to cook it in the next couple of weeks or if it will have to wait until after Christmas.
YUM! And I made the same commitment to blog every day of November. I am already over it.
making this tomorrow for Sunday dinner! I hope I don't botch it! Browning the meet totally intimidates me.
Post a Comment