Monday, November 29, 2010

Bread Sticks

It turns out that I am fresh out of ideas for blog posts for these last two days of November. Since I can't give up this close to the finish line, you are going to get recipes for today and tomorrow unless something monumental and blog-worthy happens between now and the end of the month (like Davis learning to crawl--he is so close...yet so far away...). Today's recipe is one that I make at least once a week because it goes with so many different meals. Hope you like it as much as I do! The recipe is adapted from My Kitchen Cafe, in case you had any doubt.

Photo from My Kitchen Cafe
Bread Sticks

1 ½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
Approximately 3 ½ cups flour (any combination you want--I use half white, half wheat most of the time)
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted 
Mix water, yeast, and sugar in electric mixer until yeast is activated. Add salt and flour and knead for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly if desired and roll in melted butter. Place about 1/2-inch apart on 11x17 inch baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, parmesan cheese, or whatever spices your heart desires. We have made cinnamon sticks by sprinkling with cinnamon sugar. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.

No comments: