![]() |
| Ryan and the kids at a Pioneer Day Celebration with our Stake. |
![]() |
| The beloved tire swing. I get dizzy just watching them. |
![]() |
| The kids and I have been taking field trips with friends every Thursday this summer. We hit up Stew Leonard's most recently--I would describe it as "Chuck E. Cheese meets grocery shopping." Each department, from dairy to produce, has singing food and interactive displays. It takes kid-friendly shopping to a whole new level. |
![]() |
| There was even a giant chicken that had the kids in a fit of giggles. |
![]() |
| Davis, straining to see the singing cows above him. |
![]() |
| I scream, you scream, we've eaten way too much ice cream! They really pack on the sprinkles at Stew's. |
- The final weeks of summer are upon us and I feel like I'm on the brink of entering a new phase in my life--having a school-age child. Is it odd that I am more nervous about sending little Maddie off to formal preschool a few mornings a week than I am about sending Isaac to kindergarten? I am still questioning my decision to enroll her in preschool, whereas with Isaac I don't feel that I had a decision to make at all. Time will tell if it is what is best for her, and if it's not, I won't hesitate to keep her home with me a little while longer.
- Davis has recently picked up an aversion to his Sunday nursery class. When we ask him if he's ready to go play with his friends, he emphatically declares, "No Way!" and we have to leave him crying each week so Ryan and I can teach our Sunday school courses. This is my first experience with separation anxiety--any advice?
- In a couple of weeks I get to fly home to Utah by myself to spend a few days with my family and see Wicked with my mom, sisters, and nieces. I can't wait. I am beyond excited to spend time with family and of course I'm looking forward to getting away for a few days. I've never left all of my children for more than one night so it should be an interesting and liberating few days. I'm sure they will love the quality time they get to spend with their dad.
- I love the Olympics, especially the summer games. Unfortunately, I realized too late that we wouldn't be able to access the sporting events via the internet (our antenna doesn't pick up NBC). I've been going through major withdrawals, so Ryan and I headed to a sports bar for dinner the other night and watched Gabby Douglas make history and Rebecca Soni beat the world record in the 200 meter breast stroke. It was just the pride-in-America boost that I needed (not to mention spending a little time with the hubby was refreshing). And I learned my lesson---we will be getting cable before the next Olympic games.
- I love this talk by Elder Holland. I don't know that I've ever read a more powerful testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. And this talk by Sister Beck about having a "Mother Heart." Sister Beck says that women with mother hearts believe that "To nurture and feed [children] physically is as much an honor as to nurture and feed them spiritually. She is “not weary in well-doing” and delights to serve her family, because she knows that “out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33)." I remind myself of this when making muffins and quesadillas starts to feel mundane.









3 comments:
As for separation anxiety, it's a phase even if it feels like a life-sentence to torture. The only suggestion I have is that you be very positive and upbeat about leaving saying how sure you are that he is going to have fun and be fine, and remind him that you'll pick him up. And when you do say "see? I told you I'd come back for you!" If he even senses a little bit of anxiety from you, his is much worse, because if Mommy is anxious "it must be pretty bad!"
Great post! So excited to see you in a couple of weeks.
I love your blog so much! It seriously makes my day to read about how things are going for you! Also, Davis is hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing at his prayer. So cute! Can't wait to see you girl! xoxox!
Post a Comment