Tuesday, August 21, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

For Mother's Day this past May, my dad called me and told me he was going to fly me home for a long weekend in the summer so I could see Wicked at Capitol Theater with my sisters and mom. Is my dad the cutest or what? I have been looking forward to the trip ever since. I flew home on Thursday afternoon and was able to stay for the weekend.
One of the things I was most looking forward to was going on a long run by myself and not having to worry about getting home at any particular time. This was my early morning view as me and my ipod hit the road. Oh mountains how I miss you.

I've recently become kind of obsessed with thrift store shopping, and I convinced my sister to come along with me. If I can convince her to get on the thrift store train, I'm pretty sure I could convince the Queen of England as well. 

I was able to spend a little bit of time with my grandparents. It is always good to see them. 

On Friday afternoon we headed to Salt Lake, saw a movie ("Timothy Green"...snoozer), ate delicious sushi at Happy Sumo, and headed to our hotel. 


Saturday was filled with swimming (for the first time without kids since Ike was born---It was awe.some), the downtown farmer's market, and tons of shopping. Here Allie and Mom are taking a breather at City Creek. 


Before the play on Saturday we headed to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. My sister-in-law, Erinne, and my two nieces, Livy and Maggie, were able to meet up with us just before then.  And while I don't yet have my hands on any of our pictures from the play, it was so much fun. I've been playing Wicked tunes since I got back, trying to recreate the fun of that night. 
My nephew, Fischer, is a karate king. Here he is showing off his sweet split moves. Sunday morning was spent with my family and Sunday afternoon I headed to Ryan's parents' for a get-together with all of his family. It was a great end to a great weekend.  
This picture pretty much sums up how I felt about my awesome weekend and the chance to see my kids and sweet hubby again. I thought that going away would cause me to feel one of two extremes--either completely ecstatic and relieved to be on my own or panicked that for once I didn't have a diaper bag around my shoulder. Instead, I just had a great time, such a great time. My MIL was right, every mother deserves a weekend like mine. 
There really is no place like home, which for me, happens to be in two different states right now, each over 2,000 miles apart. 

2 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh you SOOOO deserved this trip! I am so happy for you (and a tad bit jealous). Was this your first time seeing WIcked? We so need to talk!!! Love ya!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Looks like a restful & well-deserved weekend. I am jealous of all your kid free fun!