![]() |
| First day of school, waiting for the bus. |
- Isaac started school yesterday, so we have officially entered into the "school-age children" chapter of our lives.
- I decided I wouldn't cry when I dropped him off at school, at least not in front of him. Just before taking him to school yesterday morning, he begged me to let him take the bus. In a moment of weakness I gave in. I told myself that if he was ready, I should be ready, even if it meant not being able to see him settled in his little desk at school and even if it meant I couldn't help him put his backpack in his locker for the first time. I was fine until I saw the bus drive away---seriously, who lets their KINDERGARTENER ride the bus on the FIRST day of school?
- Luckily we got together with friends later that morning for a brunch and my friend, Carlee, saw Ike at school and reassured me that he found his classroom just fine.
![]() |
| Getting ready to say goodbye. |
- Even after he drove away, I wasn't the first one to shed a tear. Maddie started crying almost immediately, saying over and over, "I like my days with Isaac, I like my days with Isaac!" So I cried a little with her so she wouldn't feel silly. I am glad she loves him so much. Davis was convinced that "Isaac is on da bus!" and that he stayed there all day long.
![]() |
| And he's off to school! It was about at this moment that I got a big pit in my stomach. |
- We were there when he got off the bus. Maddie gave him a giant hug (and did so again today) and he told us all about his day over ice cream and a bicycle ride. He said it was fun, very long ("I was in school for like 50 million hours!"), and that he met some new people. I have a class list, so when he couldn't remember his friend's name, I went through all the boys on the list, trying to help him figure out the name of his new buddy. He finally clarified with me, "Mom, she's a girl!" Ohhhhhh. And now I know that her name is Emma.
- This morning before leaving for school, Isaac said to me as he was finishing up his morning chores, "I guess one of my jobs now is to go to school." Sigh----it sure is, little man, and it will be for many, many, many years to come!

.jpg)

6 comments:
Cutest post ever!
What a big day! It sounds like everyone did great. It's the beginning of an era!
Mr. Independant! That is really great. Glad kindergarten is going well.
This post made me get a little misty. Also, I see the resemblance if you know what I mean;)
didn't expect that to make me cry! I love your little brood.
Totally hear you! I've wished many times for some way to check in on them during the day... to make sure they made it to their class, got their snack, had time to eat lunch. Hard to let those apron strings stretch so far! Definitely causes some tears. :)
He will be a fantastic student! I hope they give him something new to learn. :)
Post a Comment