Sunday, March 11, 2012

Life with Isaac @ Five Years Old

Ryan and Isaac on Friday night. We took him out on a date to celebrate his birthday. Going to dinner alone with the parents for birthdays was always a tradition in my family growing up, and we decided to start doing it with our own kids this year. The little boy lit up when he found out he could get his own double shot ice cream cone all to himself. It was really fun to be able to focus all of our attention on just Isaac for a couple of hours.  

His facial expression while the crew at Friendly's Restaurant sang the happy birthday song to him. 

Two of Isaac's favorite things in one: Cars and Legos. He got to pick this present out himself with some money he received from far away family.


At 5 years old, Isaac:

  • Still loves Cars and Lightning McQueen, but has branched out a little bit. LEGOS, pirates, Star Wars,  Nerf Guns, and Super Heroes have also won his attention and affection. 
  • Is so excited for kindergarten. He was more than disappointed when I explained to him that he can't go the day he turns five. He has since come to terms with the fact that he has to wait a few more months.
  • Has become a hoarder when it comes to his favorite toys. He does not appreciate his little brother destroying his newly built Lego creations or Transformers. Because of this he keeps a lot of his toys locked up in his little bedroom.
  • Said to me the other day, "I can't believe that I'll be five years old tomorrow!...I'm going to be a lot taller when I wake up in the morning. I bet I'll even fit into my Batman pajamas that are too big on me today!"
  • Fell in love with video games while in Utah. He now loves loves LOVES video games. He spent way too many hours playing the wii while on vacation and still refers to many things in terms of Mario and Luigi. "Mom, let's play a game where balls of fire are flying towards us and trying to kill us. We only have 5 lives each so we can't let them hit us..." 
  • Is Maddie's best friend and biggest rival. Overall they play well together and I seem to get after them more for playing too loudly or too crazily than for fighting too much. 
  • Just recently reached the 40lb weight minimum needed to use a booster seat in our minivan. He is pretty proud of himself and brags to everyone that he no longer needs a car seat. 
  • Will eat just about anything (though not without complaining about it from time to time) but his favorite foods are hot dogs, pizza, yogurt,cooked carrots, apples, and avocados (his most recent favorite). He still hates to drink milk, just like his dad. And he will do just about anything for a piece of candy or something sweet. 
Some days I feel like these past years have flown by and other times I can't believe I've only been a mother for 5 years. I love Isaac so much and am thankful for what he brings to our family. I can't wait to see what this next year brings to our little boy's life. 

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Happy birthday Isaac! Chase was totally planning on calling him yesterday. Obviously that didn't happen. Sorry. I hope he had an amazing day. Chase recently declared, "wouldn't it be great if Isaac lived in that house across the street. Then we could play every day!"