Thursday, September 28, 2017

Isaac's Date Night Out

When I was a kid my most favorite thing was one-on-one time with either my mom or my dad. There is something super awesome about not having to compete with anyone for the attention of your parents. Years ago I decided that I wanted to make one-on-one time a priority with our children, so as soon as Ryan finished his busy medical residency, we made a plan of how to make that happen. It's not fool-proof, but if we follow it, it usually assures that each of our kids gets four one-on-one dates per year, which, in my book, is a pretty good start.

The first Sunday of every month, either Ryan or I will take each of the kids aside separately and give them an interview. We've tried setting goals (but never really been too successful at following through), but we mostly just talk to the kids. Sometimes I print off a little questionnaire (there's no shortage of "Questions to Ask Your Children" on Pinterest), and sometimes we just chat for a few minutes. The interview usually involves some kind of treat or snack (popcorn is a family favorite) and we always make sure to schedule the date nights for the month during the interview. If we don't schedule them, they don't happen. One child each month gets a one-on-one date with the parent of their choice, and the other 2 children get what we term a "late-over." (Nathan won't get late-overs or one-on-one dates until he goes to school because every day is a one-on-one date with me and him) Late overs usually consist of playing a game with mom and/or dad after the other kids have gone to bed. Late overs usually last 15-20 minutes. Date nights have included movies, window shopping, bowling, and trips to the over-priced candy shop. It's usually child-choice. The kids love it. And if we plan it, it's not a big deal to execute. It doesn't feel unmanageable or overwhelming.

Last night was Isaac's turn for a date night out. He chose to see the new Ninjago movie with me. I spoiled him with popcorn and candy and even let him get the soda of his choice--Pepsi. There were just a few of us in the theatre and he and I laughed and laughed at all the silly jokes. I hope he remembers nights like that. I know I will.


No comments: