Sunday, September 24, 2017

Answers to Questions


When Davis was a brand new baby, I was diagnosed with melanoma. It was a scary and uncertain time for Ryan and I. But it was also filled with a peace that I can't quite explain. I know Heavenly Father was watching over my family during that difficult time. Not coincidentally, my diagnosis came right around General Conference time. I have never clung to the messages of the prophets quite like I did during that Spring of 2010. Messages felt like they were directed right to me. Elder Oaks gave a talk on Healing the Sick and I felt like God knew my personal problems. Elder Hallstrom spoke about Turning to the Lord and I knew I wanted to be the kind of disciple that leaned on the Savior during times of trial. And Sister Beck spoke powerfully about personal revelation in a talk that I still refer to often because there is so much great counsel in it. 

Though my cancer was eradicated very quickly, I was able to hold on to the lessons I learned that spring about the value of General Conference. Because conference talks are so accessible these days, I have developed a habit over the years of listening to one conference talk each morning while I get ready for the day. I just push play on my phone while I'm putting on my makeup or picking out my clothes. It's amazing to me how well I can get to know the messages in the talks after listening this way. I can testify that on many occasions, the words of our leaders have come to my mind as an answer to a question I'm having or a doubt I may be experiencing. And it has helped me to help loved ones with the problems they face because there always seems to be a conference talk to comfort in times of trial. 
I know that if we take the time to come to conference with sincere questions, God will answer them. And as we study the talks and listen and re-listen, he will help to answer our prayers and the prayers of others through his inspired leaders. 


No comments: