Friday, December 2, 2011

Searching for the Silver Lining

At the Nautilus Submarine Museum over Thanksgiving break. Photo credit to Kelly Pluid.
Ryan works a lot. I'm certain many of  your husbands do, too. You'll have to excuse me---I am having a little pity party because I miss my husband. Our kids miss their dad. And it's going to get worse before it gets better (waaah-waaaah, poor Sara! Cue the violins). Everyone pays their dues sometime and Ryan is definitely paying his now. That being said, I have been composing a mental list of the positive side---a silver lining, if you will--to Ryan's job owning him for the next long while:

  • Heading to work in the wee hours of the morning means I get the bed and all the blankets all to myself for a few hours early each morning. 
  • We never have disagreements about how to raise the kids because he's rarely home when they are awake. I get to make all the child-rearing decisions myself and only consult him when I want to =)
  • Because family time is rare, when we do get to be together it is wonderful. I haven't enjoyed ordinary things like car rides and wrestling kids in church this much in my whole life.
  • I don't do much laundry for him because he rarely wears anything but scrubs and the hospital washes those bad boys for him.  
  • I get full control of the remote after the kids are in bed. The entire Felicity series is queued up on Netflix and ready to be watched. 
  • Snack dinners are a staple at our house, and I see nothing wrong with popcorn and carrot sticks or cold cereal for dinner once in awhile. 
  • At least we live under the same roof. That wasn't the case with all of his travels last year.
I'm going to take my sister's advice and do my best to keep my chin up. I know that as hard and long as my days are, Ryan's are always harder and longer. And I should feel lucky to have a husband worth missing. 

10 comments:

Chrissy Jo said...

Wish we were doing snack dinners together every once and a while. :-) Woohoo for less laundry, right?

I heard a story once about Marjorie Hinckley, when she was a young mother with a husband gone traveling a lot, told from the point of view of her daughter. She said they all kissed and said goodbye to dad, and then her mother covered her face for a minute and cried. Then she turned around, gave herself a few seconds to compose herself, flipped back around and said "LET'S ORDER PIZZA!"

Way to go, Sara, on trying to turn lemons into lemonade, or as my kids have been saying lately "Cracked eggs into Eggnog". :-)

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

There is NOTHING wrong a pity party every once in a while (or at least don't tell me otherwise). But I agree with you, it is far better to find the good in it all than to dwell in the misery of it. I appreciate your optimism and FULLY support "snack" dinners!

Robyn said...

... and this, my dear, is why I'm so very fond of you. You are always searching for the silver lining in everything. I think about you all the time and am so inspired by the way you live your life.

I know that even though you look for the good, that the hard times still feel, well hard. I'm sorry to see my friend go thru it, but I know you will come out all the better... is that possible?

Love you!!

Sam said...

You always inspire me! Way to go... when I am in a funk... I dont think I can find one good thing! pure inspiration!

shauni said...

Oh Sara! Residency is the pits, but I admire you for trying to find the good in it. We do a lot of "snack dinners" and frozen pizza/chicken nugget dinners around here too... sometimes I actually look forward to those nights I don't have to cook!

Mark and Aupreille said...

Oh Sara I miss you. I almost called you several times this week to catch up, but didn't and I should have.

I was just feeling bad for myself and kids this week because I don't even remember (other then Thanksgiving) the last time I made dinner for everyone, but then I reminded myself Tearisa is only 2, she's not going to be scared for life. I keep telling myself that every year will get a little better. If we can just make it through this year then next year will just be podiatry call, and then if we can make it to the next year it will be a bit better, and then we will hopefully have a real job. And now we are done with 5 months and there are only 7 months of this year left!! At least this is what I tell myself after my almost daily meltdown/pity parties ;)

Confidence with Corey said...

I just wanna say that I love you! I think you are such a wonderful mom. I hope someday I can be the kind of mom you are to my own children. I look up to you so much Sara. You.Are.Amazing. Also, your hat in that picture is super cute! :) Miss you!

Ashley said...

I HEART Felicity. Own all the seasons Ben or Noel? Who's your fave? ;)

I'm glad you have a husband worth missing too - you are such a rockstar to keep your chin up and keep plugging along. You are an amazing mom and wife, and I am in awe of you! And one day, sooner than I think we think it will be, it will be over and we can cherish real dinners, help with bedtime, and long quality-time family togetherness weekends again ;)

At least your kids are darling - and you look beautiful in your thanksgiving break pic ;)

Thanks for being real & positive too. I miss you more than you know.

Matt and Erin said...

Sara, I'm glad you have a husband worth missing, too! I've never put that thought together, but I think you expressed it so well. I'll have to remember that next time I'm home alone.

I ditto everything everyone else has said. You are one amazing woman, and I am in awe at how well you handle the tough times.

Miss you so much! I've got to call you soon.

Mandy said...

Just another reason I think you are a ROCK STAR! Seriously I love your guts!