Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Snack Dinner

My MIL gave me a piece of advice when Ryan graduated this past spring and we found ourselves on the brink of beginning residency. "Just find things to enjoy about having Ryan gone a lot."

While I can't complain about my husband's schedule (thus far it hasn't been the nightmare I expected it to be), there are usually two or three late nights a week. Those are nights when snack dinners come in handy. I usually love to cook but not solely for little ones (who usually don't appreciate it), so I don't. With snack dinners I just put a bunch of food in a muffin tin and let the kids go to town. No coaxing or bribing them to eat dinner, and when we eat outside I don't even have to remind them repeatedly to sit in their seat while they eat.

Someone stick a gold star on my forehead for convincing Davis (with sound effects "mmmmm, delicisoso!") that canned garbanzo beans are tasty.
Ike didn't even feel the need to exert the energy it takes to sit upright while eating.

Maddie shoved the popcorn in her mouth at record speed.

So when Ryan can't be home to eat with us, popcorn and apples at least make dinnertime less of a battle.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Your Mother in law is a genius! Love that idea and can't wait to use it (well I guess that I would rather not have to use it, but such is life and I am using it soon)!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

We have had A LOT of snack dinners lately. Our go-to is bagged carrots, grapes, cheese & crackers. Not award-winning, but it all gets eaten!