Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Highlights 2011

 We were able to spend this Thanksgiving with both friends and family. I am so so lucky to have my sister and her family an hour away from ours, and our friends the Pluids are just a few hours south of us, so they came  up for a few days to celebrate the holiday.

Jackson and Davis. A mix between a hug and a choke hold. These two were fascinated with one another.

My brother-in-law Jeremy is a pilot, so of course he needs a blow-up Santa flying a helicopter. 

Here Brooke is getting lost in These are Special Times: Celine Dion Christmas with the PeeWee. She and Jer were very gracious hosts and the turkey was nothing short of perfection.

I decided it was high time I tackle my decade-long fear of homemade pie crusts. I finally had success and now I'll never go back to the store-bought variety. 

Anything goes on Thanksgiving day around here.

Kelly was a super-friend and tackled Black Friday with me. I never could have got all the screaming deals without her (or my TGI Black Friday app) . Finding a bargain on Black Friday is seriously like a drug. And I'm addicted. It was so fun to hang out just the two of us, even if it was in the late hours of the night!

On Friday we took our kids to the submarine museum in Groton. It was totally worth the hour drive. We were able to tour the very first nuclear powered submarine. I learned that I don't want to live in the claustrophobic atmosphere of an underwater ship. I never knew bunk beds could be so close to each other. 

It was hard to capture in a phone photo just how small and confined everything was.

The biggest hit of the museum (aside from all the control panel buttons that they were allowed to play with to their hearts' content) was this hand-held audio tour guide. Each person was given one so we could listen at our own pace. The kids were in heaven. 
Thanks so much to Brooke and Jeremy for having us over for Thanksgiving--the kids always love to spend time at your house. And thanks to the Pluids for making the trek north to visit us! The kids had a ball getting reacquainted with their friends. Last night Isaac commented to me, "Saying goodbye to Chase was just sad for the whole family." Don't worry, Ike, I'm sure it won't be long before you can say hello again.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you for having us! We all had a great time. Chase woke up this morning asking if it was time to go back to Isaac's yet. I was telling Jacob on the ride home how therapeutic it was to go out shopping with just you. We need to meet up again sooner than later.

maryp said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sara!! So, first, I can't believe you haven't tackled homemade pie crust before, being the culinary genius that you are!! My husband loves pie so I kind of had to learn how to make crust. It never turns out the same way twice. I'm not very good at it and really dread making crust actually. Your kids are so cute. I love the one of Jackson and Davis. What cuties. And Maddie with that 2 liter is awesome. Just like that scene in Elf where he drinks the pop and burps and says "did you hear that?"! Hope you guys have a nice holiday!!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

How fun! And I'm excited you got to go to the Nautilus museum. Both my uncles served on that sub & it's a major source of family pride for us.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maryann said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad. And yay for homemade pie crust!!! All fancy-smancied lattice, no less.