Monday, October 17, 2011

Isaac @ 4 1/2 Years of Age

  • Is fiercely competitive. If he doesn't win, it wasn't really a race.
  • Loves to run, run, run. Anytime we leave the house he asks, "Will we be running there?" He needs to prepare by wearing his "running shoes."
  • Is a very kind big brother most of the time. His competitive desire gets in the way of his kindness every now and then.
  • He is going to participate in his first ever primary program this upcoming Sunday. His favorite song from this year is "Praise to the Man" and he knows it by heart. If you call him, he will sing it to you. He has even taught it to Maddie. He still loves to sing, hum, and make constant noise. 
  • He has recently been putting forth a lot of effort to speak to me in Spanish. He knows how happy it makes me and I think he's figured out that it's a nice way to butter me up. It works almost every time. I love hearing him pray, sing, and speak in espanol. 
  • He is really enjoying preschool. He especially enjoys carpooling with his friend, Anna. I think he feels extra grown-up when he goes all by himself and I'm not there to drop him off.
  • Recently Isaac and I have started having little chats right before bed where I tell him we can talk about whatever he wants. A common theme seems to be his "Biggest Wishes" and they always revolve around flying an airplane all by himself, driving a race car all by himself, or blasting off in a real rocket all by himself. 
  • He remains Lightning McQueen's most devoted fan. That's 2.5 years of pure love, people. And no foreseen end in sight.
  • He just informed me yesterday that he doesn't like kisses anymore. Only hugs. I told him he can never escape all the kisses I shower him with after he falls asleep.

His Cousin, Eleanor, recently asked us to host her Flat Stanley doll for a week. Here the kids are giving him a tour of Yale's campus. 

Playing dress up is pretty much a daily occurrence for all three of the kids these days. 

Playing "Sleepover" with Maddie during quiet time. 

Making caramel apples yesterday. It's our longest-standing family tradition that we started the first year Ryan and I were married. We all look forward to it every year.  Ike was a big help this time around. 

Yesterday he received a phone call from his New Jersey friend, Chase. Can you sense his excitement from the look on  his face? Isaac still talks about his cousins and Iowa friends even though he has been lucky enough to make some great friends in CT as well.


Like I said, he LOVES to run.

  • I don't know if I've said this before, but  4 years old just might be my favorite stage of childhood thus far. They become super-inquisitive, easy to reason with, more helpful than ever, and really funny as well. I can't believe how big my boy is getting. I love it.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I should have taken a picture of Chase and you would have seen just as big of a smile! I have to agree that 4 is so much fun!

Kelly said...

Oh and I had to go out today and buy everything thing to make carmel apples! I couldn't stop craving them when you mentioned them yesterday. Thanks for teaching me how!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh I have such fond memories of ALL of us pilled in your kitchen with like A-GAZILLION kids running a muck while we made carmel apples. I haven't even been tempted to make anything fallish since we have still been in the 90's here. Tomorrow it's suppose to "cool off" to 73 degrees and I think I might celebrate by making soup for dinner (which no one will probably eat but me). Do your kids eat soup? Mine look at me like I'm crazy. We'll now i just want to call and talk. Miss you my friend!

Maryann said...

What an amazing boy you've got! He's really cute and I love that he likes to sing.

I love 4 yrs. as well. I can't believe how helpful Cumorah is sometimes and she is just so fun.

I just died when I read that he doesn't like kisses anymore...really? Does that mean I might only have 2 1/2 yrs more worth of kisses from my baby boy? I don't know if I can handle that.

sarita said...

Maryann--enjoy those slobbery kisses while they last because he just might cut you off before you know it!

Becca--Just the other night I made White chicken Chili and Maddie poured it on top of her head while I wasn't looking and then called it an accident just to avoid eating it. So no, she doesn't eat soup. Ike and Davis will luckily eat most anything.