Thursday, October 27, 2011

Currently Loving...




  • Mormonchannel.org. There are tons of programs for all ages but our fave around here is the Scripture Stories for children. There's even a smart phone app. We listen to them on my phone often...while running errands...eating breakfast...or during quiet time. The kids like them and I feel like I'm doing something important while all I have to do is click a couple of buttons on my phone. If you haven't already, check it out. I bet your kids will like it too.
  • Menu Planning. Here's the deal with my love/hate relationship with menu planning. I love it because it saves money and helps me plan out 2 weeks worth of meals at once, but I hate it because it is never fun to sit down and plan 14 meals at a time--or grocery shop for them (especially with three helpers in tow--recently we tipped a cart over onto it's side while in line at the Walmart pharmacy---with Davis inside it). My favorite food blogger at Mel's Kitchen Cafe has a menu plan template here that I have been using since Ryan started his residency training and I love it. I do the two week plan which means I only do two big grocery shopping trips a month. Ryan usually picks up milk and sometimes a couple of produce items on the off-weeks. Less trips to the grocery store means Sara spends less money. Plus, it allows me to try new recipes every two weeks while still keeping some things constant (like Friday night pizza, or brinner once a week). And I don't have to feel overwhelmed with what to cook for dinner. 

  • The Classics Writing Claw. Helps preschoolers learn how to hold a pencil correctly.

  • Crayola Dry-Erase Crayons. No more hounding the kids to constantly put the caps back on their markers so they don't dry out!

  • Silverlicious. Victoria Kann was sitting on a goldmine when she first came up with the idea for Pinkalicious. She has since written Purplelicious, Goldalicious, and now most recently, Silverlicious. Maddie loves them all.


  • I know OneRepublic's song, Marching On, was released a couple of years ago, but I just became acquainted with it in the last month. I can't help but jam out to it every time it comes up on Pandora.  I think I might make it my theme song for our Connecticut years (who says residency can't have a theme song?). Put one foot in front of the other...my sink is to swim--that is my new mantra, baby.
  • And last but not least, I am loving that my sister and her hubby are coming to visit in 5 short days! It's been almost a year since we saw them and I can't wait. Thrilled about sums up my emotional status.

All apple orchard photos courtesy of Ms. Kami Brown.

3 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I am totally trying the 2 week menu plan. I try to plan before I shop, but I've never been this formal about it. I usually keep a running list of what meat/ main dishes I have in the freezer & decide that morning what we'll have that night. I only shop once a week, but once every 2 weeks would be MUCH better for me (not my favorite chore) and my budget. Great idea!

Robyn said...

Great pics and tips! I am going to go find that pencil gripper. I am determined to get that boy writing! Miss you!

Kelly said...

I've got try the menu planning. I've been trying to force myself to plan out a week lately and it is an inner battle that I keep losing. But I have to start doing it! Have fun with your sister.