Thursday, January 27, 2011

No Place Like Home

We are moving from Utah back to Iowa early Saturday morning. It is definitely a bittersweet situation. It has been wonderful to live close to family again. One of the very best things about living near family is watching your children connect with grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles. In my opinion, the most difficult thing about living far away is feeling like they are missing out on those relationships. I am so thankful for the past eight months and the opportunity we have had to live so close to so much family. I get a lump in my throat every time I think about how much love and support everyone has given us while we have been here. Some of the highlights have included:

  • Long summer days spent swinging and playing in the backyard. 
  • Grandpa's awesome tree house.
  • Tons of play dates with cousins.



  • Celebrating Maddie's second birthday.

  • Womens' weekends.


  • Grandma's tea set.
  • Friday night pizza--always from Papa Murphy's and always the Cowboy (seriously, you don't want any variety, Dad?)
  • Cooking with pounds and pounds of garlic and onions because that's what my dad loves--gotta keep the landlord happy.
  • Unlimited Cars and Dora fruit snacks whenever we visited Grandma Mary-Ann.
  • Anytime Ryan came home, even if it was just for a few days between rotations. Those reunions were always super-sweet.

  • Our entire month in Colorado. Living with Ryan's brother and his family was a great experience that I will always look back on with fond memories.

  • Dinner at Layla's with Papa and Mama Payne.
  • Ben and Jerry's in every flavor imaginable at our constant disposal. my dad is the Devil in disguise, I tell ya.
  • Play dates and girls' nights with lifelong friends.
  • Red Mango. I had to eat my words when I told my sister that it couldn't be "that good." I'm totally addicted.
  • Spending so many holidays with family.






  • Playing "Just Dance" on the wii on Christmas Day with all of Ryan's family. I would pay good money to see a dance-off between Ryan's dad and mine to the tune of "Walk like an Egyptian."
  • Cookie bake-offs in my parents' sweet kitchen.
  • Watching this little guy get chunkier every day.
  • The circus with Grandma Maddie, the most memorable part being when 3 of the grandkids (Ike included) stayed on the train while both adults got off...it's funny now, but Grandma didn't think it was too funny then.
  • Spending time with the Great Grandparents.

  • Being able to attend Grandpa Hancock's funeral and Uncle Mark's as well.

  • Having so much family to celebrate with when Davis was blessed.

  • A tub big enough to swim in.
  • Dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with my mom and dad.
  • The Payne family Reunion. 
  • Playing Celebrity at said reunion and laughing my arse off while Papa P. yelled at everyone on his team, calling them "a bunch of idiots!" for not guessing his uncanny impression of Christopher Walken.
What a fun eight months it has been. I am so glad we decided to come home during this crazy year. As my mom said, "I wouldn't trade the memories for anything."

Me neither.

14 comments:

Confidence with Corey said...

There's a major lump forming in my throat too... I will miss you like crazy girl, but I'm excited to come visit you wherever you end up! Sure do love you. Make sure those kiddos don't forget who their favorite aunt is:)

Jamie said...

It makes me sad to think about you moving away from all of your family.... You guys have a safe trip back to Iowa.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

I'm sure it is very bitter sweet! I just wish I was benefiting from your return to Iowa. I will be very jealous when all you girls get together. Hope the drive back goes smooth. We still need to chat!!!

Meg said...

I didnt realize you were going back to Iowa. you are right, being close to family is wonderful. i will be grateful for these few months we are enjoying with family before our long residency journey begins. btw i love the pics in your last post.

allie said...

We will miss everything about having you here! Love you girl!!!!

Sam said...

This just makes me want to cry. I envy the relationship you have with your family. Bryce and I were just talking about sacrifices we have to make now to have a better future and being so far from family is a huge sacrifice. Have a safe trip back and I look forward to hearing all about some new adventures you have ahead of you.

Mandy said...

I am so glad that you guys had so much fun with all your family. It makes me home sick....but I am glad that I will get to see your cute face in person soon! I am in serious need of a girls night!!!

Chrissy Jo said...

I'm so glad you got to spend so much time with your family. Having your husband away for so long can be rough no matter where you are, but being with family surely makes it a little easier. I selfishly can't wait till you get here though! My Iowa sister is coming back!

Jill Hansen said...

This makes me sad! I wish I would have spent more time with you. The days just go by so fast. Have a safe journey! Love you girl! Keep in touch...

Krystal said...

Can't tell you how much we will miss you! We seriously loved all the play-dates we were able to have and all the chats we shared within those play-dates! Hope you guys have a safe drive! Love you tons!

Trieste said...

I didn't know you were heading back, I'm sad we weren't able to hang out again. I loved coming to hang out with you and the kiddos. My girls loved the fun tree house. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to be away from your family, they seem like such a fun one! I hope you have a great time in Iowa...are you there for good now?

Maryann said...

Good luck with the move. I can't wait to see you during graduation time. It really does stink being far away from family. We won't know for a couple of weeks yet, but it looks like we will be even farther away than Iowa for residency. We're excited about it all except for the fact that there is no way we can drive home and no way we can afford to fly all these kiddos home. So sad. Our parents aren't making it much easier when we see how much it hurts them thinking about us leaving. It makes we want to cry. Oh well, life is still beautiful. And I agree with your mother about the memories. It's a blessing to have had the opportunity to make such nice ones.

Samantha R said...

What a fun post - love all the pictures! Good luck with the move back.

slingwall said...

How can you make me laugh and cry in one post? I loved having you guys around. I don't know how long it will be before the kids ask to go see you in Kaysville. I hope that residency will be close and my biggest wish right now is that you get to come back to Utah in 3 years! I love you guys and I will miss you being so close.