Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is it my birfday yet?



That's the question that Isaac has been asking Ryan and I on a daily basis for weeks. He has carried around an unopened birthday package from his grandma for days. This morning he finally got to open it. I'll post more about his big day later, but I wanted to write down a few things about our little man as of late so that I can remember what he was like at this age:

  • He still loves anything to do with cars, trains, or airplanes.
  • He is doing a great job with potty training with just the occasional accident (Keep it up, buddy!). He doesn't like to use other people's bathrooms very much. While playing at a friend's house yesterday, she said to him, "Isaac, let's go potty!" "Oh, I don't go potty at other people's houses" he protested. Nice try. You do, now, big guy.
  • He has learned how to milk things for all they are worth---he STILL asks for a treat after going to the bathroom, and after getting over a cough almost 2 WEEKS ago, he STILL occasionally points to his throat and gives a little fake cough, asking in a weak voice, "Can I have something like a popsicle or lifesaver to make my throat feel better?"
  • He loves imaginary play.
  • He no longer loves to share everything with his little sister and has become quite possessive of his favorite toys. 
  • He loves to boss Maddie around and I have even caught him using Love and Logic on her a time or two. "Maddie, do you want to share your toy with me or do you want to go to time-out?" 
  •  One of his favorite phrases is, "Not quite yet..." and he usually uses it when I ask him if he's ready to do something that he's "not quite yet" ready to do, like go take a nap or put his shoes on.
  • He still loves the songs "Life is a Highway" and "Real Gone" and can almost sing them both by heart. Sometimes at night he will belt his favorite Cars and Primary songs at the top of his lungs until he gets tired. Maddie doesn't seem to mind and can usually fall asleep right through it.
  • He is very even-tempered and rarely gets really upset. He inherited this characteristic from his dad and I love it about both of them.
  • He still takes naps everyday with very few exceptions (I will fight this one for as long as I can because mama needs her naps, too).
  • Ketchup, chocolate, and candy are his favorite food groups, but if he's hungry he'll usually eat just about anything. Kiwi is his favorite fruit of choice as of late. He also still loves quesadillas and pizza.
  • He loves preschool. Maddie hates preschool because she doesn't get to go and still cries when he leaves her on Fridays. I think this is one of the reasons that he loves it so much---he gets to do it all by himself. The other day, I went to pick him up from school. Maddie wasn't with me like she always is because Ryan happened to get home from school early so she stayed at home with him. As soon as Isaac got in the car, he couldn't believe that Maddie wasn't there waiting for him. Halfway home, he proclaimed, "I"m so sad! I miss Maddie!" I hope he still feels that way in five years. 
  • If he doesn't like how we are disciplining him, he will often proclaim, "I'm not happy anymore!" so we know just how he feels.
  • He still gives the best hugs and we love him so much. Thanks for making me a mom three years ago today, Isaac!

5 comments:

Chrissy Jo said...

I love this list. "Not quite yet" just cracks me up!!! What a sweet sweet little boy. I know he seems to steal my heart every time I'm around him. Happy Birthday Isaac!!

Billy and Nathalie said...

Aww... Those are the blog entries you will love to read again in 10 years!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday sweet boy! Can you believe our little guys are three? He is sweet boy and loved by many. Chase is going to be heartbroken when he leaves in a couple months. I hope he (and you) enjoyed his special day.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I remember celebrating his birfday @ La Mie last year. Has it been 12 months already? Happy Birthday big guy!

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday little Ike! I can't believe how big he is getting...sure do miss you guys!