Saturday, February 27, 2010

Does Chase have a Potty Train, too?

About 6 months ago I decided I needed to potty train Isaac. I checked out every potty training book from the library that I could find (every single one gave me different advice, by the way). I talked to every mother I knew who had potty-trained children. I was determined to potty train him as quickly and easily as possible. And I was ready.

The only problem was, he wasn't.

We went full boar for a couple of days and dozens of accidents and I called it quits. I resigned myself to the fact that I would have 3 kids in diapers at once, and to be honest with you, I took a little bit of pride in being able to take on that challenge (strange, I know). I decided that I would train Isaac (and possibly Maddie) this summer while living at my parents' house.

Then, couple of weeks ago, Isaac suddenly took a great interest in the potty. Who am I to stop him? Most of his friends are potty trained, which I'm sure helped with the positive peer pressure. Not to mention the fact that we purchased the beloved Mack Truck that he has always said he wanted as his final prize "when I'm a big boy and go poo-poo in the potty all the time."

A few days after we bought the truck (it sat on top of our fridge where it could be seen but not touched), his friend, Cumorah, was using the bathroom and he decide he wanted to take a turn when she was done. Low and behold he sat down and took care of some business.

He was so proud of himself.

So was I.

He has been using the potty ever since. After about a week of staying dry and clean at home, we decided that this week we would venture out in big boy undies. He hasn't had one accident outside the home (yet---I'm sure we will experience that soon enough). He takes a lot of pride in going all by himself and if I try to help him (or even if I'm in the bathroom with him) he'll usually look at me and say, "Could you give me a space, please?" No problem, little man. Everyone deserves their privacy. I must admit that it is so nice to be changing half the amount of diapers (that will soon more than double again, of course, but I'll enjoy the break while it lasts).

The other day we were heading over to play with his friend, Chase. I explained to him that there were plenty of places to go potty outside of our house, and that all he had to do was let me know if he needed to go.

"Does Chase have a potty train, too, Mama?" he asked.

"Yes he does, my boy. Yes he does."

Maddie is Ike's biggest cheer leader and she has even been known to do her little "We did it!" Dora dance when he has success. She always has to check out his work (and gets way too close for my comfort). I'm sure it doesn't hurt that when Isaac earns a potty treat, so does Maddie--we're all about giving the entire family a reason to celebrate around here. Win/win, right? After all, what's one more M&M or Sweetart?

The other day, while throwing a classic Maddie fit, she was sent to her room for some "calm down" time. A couple of minutes later she got really quiet, so I peeked inside to see if she wanted to come out. Instead, she had opened up Isaac's underwear drawer. I found her sitting on the floor, attempting to put some Lightning McQueen underwear on over her clothes. Just like big brother...

He's definitely not completely trained, and I'm planning on a few problems and regressions when the baby comes, we move, and Ryan takes off for a few months (that's a lot for a little guy to handle, don't you think?), but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We are pretty proud of our Ike around here.

9 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Way to go Isaac!

Kelly said...

Yeah!!! Way to go Isaac!!

Mandy said...

Wahoooo! Isaac we are so proud of you!

Chrissy Jo said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! The Mack truck was the deal closer at our house too. Now if only I could get up the courage to do Lyssa...

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Yay Isaac...and yay for you Sara!

allie said...

That is awesome!!!

shauni said...

Yeah! How nice that he decided he was going to do it on his own. And you can't complain about changing less diapers!

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

Wahoo!

slingwall said...

So he will be wearing big boy pants when my parents drive him across the country! That is awesome I am sure they will love it. Just kidding. This is really great for him and you. I am really proud of him and we can't wait to do the "I did it dance" with Maddie. Love you guys.