Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Like Brother, Like Sister?

I tried a new recipe last night for Black Bean Burgers and they were a hit with little Ike so I thought I'd share. I know what all you carnivores out there are thinking "sick--burgers should be made only out of Black Angus," but I even got Ryan to eat these bad boys--and they're a lot healthier for you than the real deal (remember my biggest loser post? Yeah, we're working on it). I got it off a website called Super Healthy Kids that a friend told me about.
Black Bean Vegetarian Burgers
* 2 cups black beans, mashed up
* 1 cup bread crumbs
* 3 TBLS salsa
* 1 egg
* 1 Cup cooked rice (brown or white)
* 1 clove garlic, minced
Combine all ingredients. Make patties out of mixture. Place on griddle and cook until browned or crisp. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and other hamburger condiments to finished patties and bun.
Isaac enjoying the bb burger
The weather here has been beautiful the past few days (high 70s and no chance of rain) and should stay that way for the next week, so we have been spending as much time outside as possible. I get shivers down my spine every time I think about winter coming, so I'm just trying to live it up while I can.
Isaac would rather push Maddie around in their stroller than do just about anything else
Like brother, like sister? Looks like we have another thumb sucker on our hands...ever since we weaned Maddie off of her favorite swaddling blanket, she loves to suck her thumb when she goes to sleep. I know I should stop it, but I think it's cute. They'll both grow out of it, won't they? Won't they??

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I have a thumbsucker, and I'm hoping he gets over it by Kindergarten. We shall see. In the meantime, isn't it great?

Laura Bernard said...

I love my thumb or finger suckers! Myra quit on her own at 2 1/2. Perfect. As you know Grace is still going strong. But she doesn't usually do it in public, so I'm okay with it. And my man Anson, he's calloused and wrinkled. I'm sure they'll all stop eventually. So don't lose sleep over it. Just be glad they can calm and comfort themselves now!

Kelly said...

I saw the recipe and couldn't decide if it looked good. I'm glad someone else tried it first. I will have to give them a try. I love the double thumb sucker picture.

Chrissy Jo said...

I love that picture of the two of them together. Lyssa's a thumb sucker too, but I don't worry too much. Too many other things to worry about these days. :-) The black bean burgers look DELICIOUS! I'm totally going to try them. Thanks for adding to my recipe collection!

Robyn said...

I've been thinking about making those, and now you've convinced me. Thanks!

Chris and Sally said...

I can't say that I agree, the black bean burgers don't look good to me. Why not just eat black beans? That sounds much better. My little Brookey likes to suck her thumb too. I love how she can't figure out what to do with her fingers. I can't believe Brooke just got power back from Gustav. Hello! I was a cry baby because I didn't have it for 1 day. What a baby I am.

Kelli said...

Hey Sara! They are SSOOOOOOO cute. I just realized today that I never got the gift sent out to you. Let's just say it has been pretty hectic lately. I want to send it today though, so is your address the same? My sister-in-law used hers up to 18 months, so I think it would still be handy.

Let me know!

shauni said...

I love little thumbsuckers, I think it's the cutest thing! Don't make them stop!! I think eventually they'll grow out of it