Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tapping into our Roots

My mission roots, that is. This afternoon we packed up the kids and headed to the annual Latino Heritage Festival here in Des Moines. It's held at the zoo (or right outside it, to be exact), so if you pay your $5 to get into the festival then you get to go to the zoo as well (I think regular admission to the zoo is twice that).
So we took Isaac to see the lions and tigers and monkeys and then headed over to the food vendors. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a single booth that represented the culinary delights of the Dominican Republic. After I got over that, I couldn't decide what to eat (everything looked delish, even though none of it was Dominican), so I told Ryan I was going to pick the booth with the longest line and go there. After all, that's where the best food had to be, right?
I ended up with a super-spicy burrito with authentic Mexican cheese and carne asada and Ryan settled for El Salvadorian pupusas (my hubby loves him some pupusas).
All in all it was a fun afternoon. Isaac even got to try out his first bouncy play land. He loved it for about 5 minutes and then decided he would rather play on the "weeeee weeeees" (his name for swings).
Isaac and Ryan in front of the tigers
Isaac and I in front of the giraffe (that seconds before decided to duck it's head)
Maddie doing what she does best (hanging out in the stroller/car seat)
Isaac in the bouncy play land
He held his own quite well next to the bigger kids

3 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

Sorry the you were let down on the DR goods.

Your hair is looking so long! I love it.

So I'm coming this weekend. . . are you busy? Better not be! I feel a girls night coming on!

Unknown said...

Man, I miss this festival ever year! Do the Brazilians represent?

thepalmierifamily said...

Mmmm. Food. Isn't it great to eat good food that you didn't make? I love Isaac with toothbrushes. Aaron brushes his teeth at least 5 times a day. I think it is the good toothpaste and he has at least 5 molars coming in right now.