Friday, September 26, 2008

Caramel Apple French Toast

picture this bad boy with whipped cream on top---sooooooo good!
I found this on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Favorite Family Recipes. None of these recipes are figure-friendly, but they all look amazing (I especially heart the Cafe Rio Pork Salad knock-off recipe). I gave this a try the other day when we had breakfast for dinner. It made tons of leftovers, so we've been eating it for breakfast ever since. I think the leftovers taste even better than the day we made it. It would make a great addition to Conference Sunday Brunch, mom! Here you can find the original recipe, but I made a few changes so below you will find my modified version.
Caramel Apple French Toast
8 slices wheat bread, cubed
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar to taste
Arrange bread cubes in a lightly sprayed 9x13 inch pan. In a large bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to egg mixture. Pour mixture over bread. Arrange apples on top of bread. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar over the apples.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning (or night, if you decide to have it for dinner), bake for 1 hour at 350 until golden brown.
Top with your favorite caramel topping. This is what I like:
1 pkg wrapped caramels
2/3 cup whipping cream
Melt together in microwave. Dee-vine people, deee-vine.
I also whipped the leftover cream and added a little bit of sugar and vanilla to it so we could put it on top of the french toast. Delish and so not good for you!
On a side note, this makes a much better dessert than dinner! Next time I'll stick with breakfast burritos if I want to make breakfast for dinner.

3 comments:

Devo said...

Boo! More Isaac and Maddie, less food tips. Kidding Sarita.

Lisa said...

That sounds awesome! When did you say you were having us over for Caramel Apple French Toast?

Ericka said...

Hi, it is Ericka. well I made it and I loved it the kids didn't but more for me and my baby fat.