Saturday, January 19, 2008

Not Unless I Have to

In the past few months I have had three different friends tell me three different childbirth experiences that all freaked me out. "Why," you might ask? I will tell you why. All three planned on getting an epidural and all three had to go natural--they HAD to because their babies decided to come into this world super-fast and drugs just weren't an option. I talked to a friend today who had her baby yesterday--just 7 minutes after she arrived at the hospital. 7 MINUTES! I prefer the 29 hours that Isaac took to grace us with his presence.
Because of these disturbing stories I have decided that I need to educate myself a little bit. I am in no way implying that I WANT to have a baby without drugs, or that I plan to have a baby without drugs(a standing ovation for all you women out there who have done it, by the way), but I figure I better be as prepared as possible in case baby #2 has an agenda of her own.
I've heard good things about this book: Any other suggestions?

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow 7 minutes. I don't know what I would do without the drugs. Those women amaze me. On the other hand women that go through 29 hours amaze me to! Hopefully you won't have to find out what it is like to be without.

Shan said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the expecting arrival!!! I think of you often. I hope things are going well.

Jay and Heath said...

My mom had most of us kids at home, with her chiropractor friend delivering. Not how I would do it... Hopefully all goes well and you get the spinal tap. Jay

Becky said...

Sara, check out my friend Natalie's book list on www.goodreads.com. She was my college roomate and a Labor and Delivery nurse, who now has three kids. She's listed a couple childbirth books and I totally trust her advice.
Also, my friend Jamie is becoming a doula and did the natural childbirth thing with her last. Here is her website... http://journeyofbirth.com/default.aspx

Kandis said...

Just remember the classic breathing methods...

"he, he, who. he, he, who"

It always works on tv!

Jessie said...

I teach Bradley classes, so I highly recommend the book you listed, as well as "Husband-coached childbirth". As much as I endorse natural childbirth, it is tough work. It's always nice to be prepared, just in case. Bradley classes teach relaxation, which is great for any aspect of life. No hee, hee, hoo, hoos here.

I say whatever you are comfortable with is best!

Jessie said...

I read my reply and realized it didn't really say what I wanted it to. It's great to know what your body is doing each stage of labor and how to best cope naturally if needs be, whether you plan to get an epidural or not. It's just good to know what's going on and what to expect to happen next. You feel prepared and empowered just with the knowledge. The book you listed is great for that! Read away!