Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My New Favorite Recipe

I know you have all been on the edge of your seats waiting to hear about the bread recipe I mentioned in my previous post. Well, here it is, and it is the easiest bread recipe I have ever used. I have never been good at making bread but since I became a S.A.H.M. I have tried my best to improve. This recipe makes it easy.
Amish White Bread
INGREDIENTS
* 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 6 cups bread flour
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth (I use a Kitchenaid mixer and let it knead the dough for me for about 10 minutes). Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
I got this recipe from allrecipes.com, which is a fabulous website for thousands of different recipes. I adjusted the ingredients a little bit so the bread wasn't so sweet. Here's the original if you want to check it out.
By the way, we are still waiting to find out the damage to our little red car. Thanks so much to everyone who helped out and showed their concern. We have such great family and friends!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Yummy! Break me off a piece of that!

musson said...

Oh that looks too good. We're are definitely going to try that recipe.

Lacy said...

Wow, between your post, Brooke's cinnamon rolls and Allie's bread post, I think I need a serious carb fix! I have never been a good made-from-scratch bread maker (Rhodes is a lifesaver) but I think I now need to give it a try, because I am seriously missing out.

Kelly said...

Sounds good. My bread never works out well. I will have to give this one a try.

Kelly said...

I know I already commented but I tried this recipe yesterday and it was sooo good. I was so excited that my bread actually turned out. Thanks for the tip.

gramps said...

grandma sycamore has nothing on you