Tuesday, January 22, 2008
A Little More than a Fender Bender
I have to preface this post with saying that, just like my sister, I had plans to post a new bread recipe that I love (great minds think alike, right Allie?). That will have to wait because I have more pressing news to blog about this morning.
Last night we were in a little car accident. Can you call it a car accident if no other cars are involved? If not, we were in a freeway lamp post accident (Moms, no one was hurt, and we were all wearing our seat belts). First of all, we never should have been out on the roads last night. It was way too slippery, we just didn't figure that out until it was a little to late.
Here's a little recap of what happened. We decided to go get some dinner to celebrate Ryan's day off of school (he had been hulled up in our room studying most of the day. Soon after we got on the freeway, a bunch of cars in front of us all started slamming on their breaks. We did the same thing and immediately spun out of control, across all three lanes of traffic, doing a complete 360 degree turn until we hit the snow bank and then the lamp post. I, of course, was screaming my guts out as everything happened in super-slow motion. Luckily, thanks to the snowbank, by the time we hit the lamp post we weren't going very fast. Everyone was fine, including Isaac and baby #2. Our car is a different story. She didn't make it out unharmed. We are currently waiting to hear about the damages (luckily we have full coverage). I must admit that part of me (a very small part) is secretly hoping she is totaled so I can get that minivan I've been dreaming about (I know,I never thought those words would come out of my mouth, but two kids and a student budget did it for me).
We feel so blessed and lucky that no one was hurt. There is no logical explanation as to why we didn't hit 5 or 6 other cars in that accident. It was the end of the day; traffic was heavy. It could have been a lot worse. It probably should have been a lot worse. Luckily we have some great friends out here, and two of them came and picked us up and brought us home.
There is some good news. Our nephew, Carson, is doing a geography project in his 1st grade class. Part of his assignment was to mail a picture of himself to someone and have them take pictures of different landmarks and experiences throughout the day. He chose to send his picture to us...in Iowa. I didn't think there was anything exciting to document in Iowa at the end of January. Looks like I was wrong. Now Carson can tell his class he was in a lamp post accident in the Midwest amidst subzero temperatures. What could be more exciting than that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I'm glad to hear you are all OK. Those experiences are never fun. (So I'm not the only one who secretly hopes their car will get totaled so they can get their dream minivan.) Hope the damage isn't to bad.
That's so scary, I'm glad everyone is ok.
There must be something to wrecking your car in the first year. We had to get a new car from my wreck in October.
It's just so lucky that you are all okay!
I'm so glad that you are okay! global warming, where are you?!?
Wow girl! I'm glad no one was hurt. I don't mean to make light of the situation, but when you said you were screaming your guts out as you were spinning in slow motion, I couldn't help but laugh a little. Did you get a ticket for the accident? I did when I had mine what was very similar. I guess guess it's that law that you have to maintain control of your vehicle at all times, even if you're only driving at 2mph.
That is no fun, I am glad to hear you are all doing well. Congrats on having a girl! They (well at least Brynlee) can be dramatic at times, but are a lot of fun!
That is no fun, I am glad to hear you are all doing well. Congrats on having a girl! They (well at least Brynlee) can be dramatic at times, but are a lot of fun!
Ashley told me the story today! How scary!!! If you don't get your rental car by tomorrow I can pick you up if you still want to go. So so glad you were safe!
Getting in an accident on the freeway is my worst nightmare. I am glad everyone is okay.
I am glad that no one was hurt. It has been way too cold and icy here lately. I guess I lucked out- when I was pregnant with Carter I totaled my car and i DID get the mini-van of my dreams (which I love, by the way it is a Mazda MPV and I highly recommend it not only is it super cool, it is also very practical!) Good luck with all the car wreck aftermath and here's to hoping that you get that mini van!
I'm so glad you guys are okay! That really freaked me out when I heard the news!
Oh wow!! How scary! Thank goodness for seat belts right?
Post a Comment