Thursday, January 24, 2008

From My View

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to give another perspective on the incident with the car the other night. Looking back it was a bad idea to go out. Although it was not snowing at the time we forgot to take into account that nothing ever melts here in Iowa. Anyways, as we were driving to our destination the cars in front of us hit the brakes pretty hard allowing others to merge on to the freeway. There was ample room between us and the car in front, but as I gently applied the brake I lost command of the ship. I let off the brake and tried to slide back into our lane, we almost got control, but then a couple of over corrections later we pirouetted (Sara describes it as spinning out of control) into the curb and up the side of the embankment then back down. After the initial scare and making sure everybody was alright, I thought "press on" and I tried to get back onto the freeway and to the restaurant, but the Honda had other ideas. I did not inspect the car fully, I thought some other poor soul could lose control as we did and slam right into me, but I did take a quick look and saw the back left tire at about a 45 degree angle. We decided to call for help. They couldn't tow that night because of the weather conditions. The police officer told us to wait until the tow ban was over and then call for a tow. We waited out the tow ban, picking up a rental in the mean time, and drove out to our car to see the damages and make sure it was still there. Of course it wasn't. The DOT had it towed so they could plow. We called about 6 different police stations until we found the car. Sara went and tried to strong arm the impound company, but no luck. We eventually worked things out and the car was towed to the body shop. It is currently awaiting inspection by the insurance adjuster. We went to check it out today. It already had some hefty body damage from a little hit and run by a school bus (that is for another post), and the new damage looks fairly severe as well. We will see what they say. Anyways I will post a little video to show you all the damage. Hope I helped to clear things up. We are so glad everyone is OK because if the circumstances were a little different the situation could have been pretty bad. Ryan

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Sara's version sounds a little more exciting and dramatic. I think I would stick with hers. :)

Ashley said...

Amen to Kelly. Way to "soften" the accident Ryan..haha!!

Here's hoping your car comes out okay...but it sort of looks like "minivan, here we come!"

Robyn said...

Sara did your meltdown you had this week have to do with dealing with the towing people? Been there done that. Threw a fit. Hate those guys!
It's late I'm going to "piroette" myself to bed!

Jay and Heath said...

Que lastima. me alegro que no haya pasado nada grave a ustedes tres.. o mejor dicho, cuatro. tu no tienes mucha suerte con ese carrito verdad? pero lo mejor es que no les paso' nada a ustedes.

thepalmierifamily said...

That stinks! I got broadsided and my car was totaled right in front of my house (fortunately). Dealing with rentals, insurance, etc is stressful and hard. I'm glad that no one was hurt, especially with Sara being pregnant.

Liz said...

Boo! I can't believe you didn't mention this little incident when you were at my house today. Actually I can, seeing as how I spent most of the time talking about myself. Sorry.

Natali Jolley said...

I haven't read your blog for a while and haven't been able to talk to you so I didn't even know! I am so sorry, there is almost nothing more stressful than a car wreck. Oh, just thinking about it makes my tummy turn. I hope things turn out well. I am so so sorry!