Sunday, January 13, 2008

First Day on the Job

I'm officially a "Proud Peacock." That's my new mascot, at least. Isn't that just the greatest? It almost rivals being a dart...almost. Yesterday I started a new part-time job teaching a class at Upper Iowa University. It's through one of their extension sights, so they cater mostly to working adults. This works great for me because the class I am teaching meets only on Saturdays (which means Ryan can be home with little Ike). It is a curriculum and methods course for teachers who are working on their ESL endorsement. In other words, I teach educators a variety of different strategies that will help them with their students who do not speak English as their primary language. Yesterday I was both excited and nervous as I headed to work--my first time teaching adults instead of children (other than in church). It turned out great! I absolutely loved it. It reminded me just how much I love being in the classroom. My students seemed willing to learn, and I felt more comfortable than I thought I would. I think it's going to be a great learning opportunity for me, and it will give me some good experience in case I want to teach full-time in a university setting someday (though that seems like a very far away "someday"). For now, no one but my brother is required to address me as "Professor Payne." :)

6 comments:

J said...

Good luck with the new job Sara!

Brooke said...

I'm glad that you are enjoying your new job. It sounds like it will be a fun experience for you. Keep us updated!

Kandis said...

Glad that you guys made it back to Iowa okay and that you're back in the classroom! You're such a great teacher it's a travisty that you can't teach more....we need way more teachers like you! Anyway, good luck on the job and keep us posted as to when you know the gender of your little one!

Jay and Heath said...

felicidades por tu nuevo trabajo. no sabia que estabas buscando trabajo. que bueno que te guste. creo que me gustaria a mi tambien. haznos saber si es varoncito o hembrita... o los dos (gemelos). Jay

Anonymous said...

Did you ever meet Sister Wride on your mission? Her first name was Emily.

Erinne said...

I didn't know you were pursuing a job. Is this the one you were originally offered but turned down a few months back, or is something entirely different? Will you continue working after baby 2?