Friday, April 27, 2012

Truth Be Told


Truth be told, this little guy has been giving me a run for my money lately. When he wakes up he looks so snuggly in his footsie pajamas and blonde bedhead that I just want to kiss him a thousand times. But by the time 6 o'clock rolls around, I usually find myself counting down the minutes until bedtime. I think intense is the best word to use to describe my baby boy these days.

Today I found myself saying several silent prayers..."help me discipline him effectively...help me to show him that I love him...help me to find reasons to praise him." Just after putting him to bed this evening I heard him call for me. Resisting the usual urge I get to feel irritated, I slowly opened his bedroom door, put his blankets on him again, and asked him if I could sing him some songs. He often resists whenever I start singing ("NO!! DAVY SING IT!"), but tonight he laid quiet and still as I sang "Twinkle Twinkle" and "I am a Child of God." His deep blue eyes moved back and forth, back and forth across my face as I held his chubby hands in mine. I know he probably won't remember our special little moment in the morning, and certainly not in the years to come, but it was one of those times that I just wanted to bottle up.

And I hope those little hands of his stay chubby for a long time.

4 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

So true, it's all in the moments. I still want to finish our phone call...even if it is 2 weeks late! Miss you.

Chrissy Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrissy Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrissy Jo said...

Bottle up those moments, post them on the blog, write them down in your journal... whatever you can do to remember them. This goes back to the "life editing" bit you wrote about a few weeks ago. We write down the precious moments, the funny things our kids say, the things that touched our hearts because we want to remember them and focus on them as we look back at these times in our lives.

Most kids go through rough patches and take all our patiences. You're probably the most patient mother I know. If anyone can make it through the day it's you. Keep up the good work, beautiful! Miss you!