- Isaac is officially registered for kindergarten at our neighborhood school. His name wasn't chosen from the lottery for the downtown bilingual school. When we received the letter of regret I was strangely relieved...really relieved. No decision to make, no long bus ride, no wondering if I should have placed him in the other school. Not having a choice is sometimes the easiest option of all. That being said, I'm not sure how our bilingual home will work out once he is in school all day and only has a couple of hours at home each night--especially when the homework starts to come. And that makes my heart hurt a little. If anyone has advice on the matter, I'm all ears. It seems that everyone knows someone who is raising their children in a bilingual home. I would love to hear success stories...or any stories.
- I've been reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with my older kids for the past week or so. It is magical! I remember watching the original movie many times as a kid but this is my first time reading the book. They are really getting into it (what kid wouldn't love to hear about a chocolate waterfall and gobstoppers that last forever?). I kind of see it as a tiny peace offering at the end of each day---no matter how many mistakes I make as a mother, I can read to them about endless amounts of candy and they always seem to forget any lack of patience I showed them earlier in the day.
- I recently read the following statement: blogging = life editing, and I couldn't agree more. I don't know how you could blog and paint a perfectly complete picture. No one wants to read Debbie Downer posts every day, but it can be easy to feel frustrated or inferior (guilty as charged) when all you read about are the wonderful moments in someone else's life, especially after a difficult day with your own children. That being said, everyone has the right to post what they want and filter what they want, just as each person has the right to choose whether or not to read said filtration. I have been thinking lately about why I write, and particularly why I blog. There are a number of reasons (including validation---it definitely puts a smile on my face when I see a new comment), but a few are most important to me: 1) I blog more than anything for my own children, particularly for my daughter (and future daughters-in-law). One day I hope she is fortunate enough to become a mother herself and that she finds joy in reading about her childhood as well as comfort in the trials and triumphs that I went through as a mother of young children. 2) I do it for the faraway grandparents, and 3) I do it because I enjoy writing and documenting what life is like for us, however edited/filtered it may be.
- I am so excited for CT in the summertime. Field trips, fruit farms, and beaches are some of the things at the top of my summer bucket list.
- Speaking of summer, I am thrilled that Ryan is almost finished with his first year of residency. While his schedule won't ease up much in second year, he will be in his second year! Goodbye low man on the totem pole! We're slowly inching our way closer to the middle now.
- I heart watching different t.v. series on Netflix at night after the kids are in bed. It seriously saves me from loneliness (and makes for a great at-home date night when Ryan is around). Downton Abbey is my current show of choice, though I am still going through FNL withdrawals since I just wrapped that series up. I think Coach Taylor and Tami might be my favorite t.v. couple ever.
- How 'bout them Mommy Wars, eh? Working mothers, I salute you and marvel at your ability to juggle so much. Stay-at-home mothers, I feel your pains and joys in this work---because it IS work, too. I think more than anything we just need to bind ourselves together and realize that we are all on the same team. And let's not let the media's attempt to pit us against each other work. I mean, seriously, can't we all just get along?
- Wasn't the most recent General Conference fantastic? So many excellent talks. Some of my current favorites include Elder Wilson's talk, Elder Holland (always) and President Uchtdorf's talks--both on mercy and envy, Elder Baxter's talk to single parents, and Elder Ballard's talk. Conference time seems to find me swinging from one end of the pendulum to the other: Spiritual high one moment and feelings of "I have so far to go to get where I want/need to be" the next. But it's those feelings that help get me motivated to make needed changes in my life.
- Speaking of Conference, I have been thinking a lot about Elder Wilson's talk about the difference between compelling our children vs. gently persuading them. It has been humbling for me to realize the mistakes I have been making concerning this matter and how I need to begin letting my children (especially Isaac and Maddie) exercise more of their own agency in the choices they make. Elder Wilson said, "Wise parents prepare their children to get along without them." I want to be that kind of parent. Surprisingly, my attempt at giving them more freedom is making my life easier. I mean, who knew that Maddie could make her own peanut butter sandwich and that she would be so excited at the prospect? I gladly hand over those reigns whenever she'll take them.
- Wow. I really had a lot to say tonight. If you are still reading, you are likely one of my parents, so these videos are for you:
Ryan playing wrestle-mania with the kids. It's their new favorite game. In order to get the full effect, please turn your volume up full throttle and then place your ear right over the speaker. That's the only way you will truly be able to understand what it's like to be me in the same room as these crazy wrestlers.
Davis "reading" his new favorite book, Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Please excuse the shaky cam. I was multi-tasking.
4 comments:
That video of Davy reading the book made me almost cry. He is sooooo cute! I love his little voice! I think his voice saying Macaroni Penguin actually made me giggle. I miss your adorable children, and I miss our great day to day talks.
I almost cried at kindergarden roundup this week. I know Alec will do fine, but 9-4 seems like such a long time away, doesn't it? I agree 100% that sometimes it's easier to just not have the choices. I hope your bilingual way of life works itself out and you can continue. I think it's soooo cool!
Love that you're reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I haven't read that one either. I may have to give it a try with the munchkins this summer.
Blogging does equal life editing, but I'm really okay with that. After years of doing it myself, I completely accept that other people do it and I'm OKAY with it. That being said, I can pick and choose whatever I want to read. I always enjoy reading your blog. :-)
I wish I could go to the beach with you!
EVERYONE tells me to watch Downton Abbey. It's in my que but taking a LONG time to get here. There goes another recommendation for my list.
I recently wrote a similar statement about the Mommy Wars on facebook. Why can't we all just love and support each other? Isn't motherhood hard enough?
I loved General Conference too, but need to make a real effort to relisten and read them. Some of the talks you mentioned I'm not even sure I heard. Such is the way of a young family.
I'm seriously considering letting Alec make his own sandwiches. I guess I'm just not ready to clean up the mess that will likely ensue... to which you will tell me to teach him to clean up the mess. I know you're right. I'm just lazy. I need to stop being lazy.
Don't you love how I totally read this blog post like it was an email especially written for me? I miss you like crazy, my dear Sara. Happy Saturday!
(raising my hand) still reading! not a grandparent!
Still reading, also. Thanks, Sara. Always love your posts.
I read it all, too. :) Wise words. I'm happy for you that you don't have to make the K choice either! I'm wondering what summer in IL will be like. The beach sounds fun! Wish I could come!!!
And hurray for Ryan for working his way through. I know what that means!!! It's huge (for both of you)!
Post a Comment