Monday, August 15, 2011

A Do-Over

I recently started a gratitude journal where I try to keep track of good things that happen throughout the day. It's also where I write funny things the kids say so I can remember them in the years to come. Tonight I feel like sharing what I wrote this evening:
  • Today Maddie said to me at the beginning of quiet time, "Could you leave some water in the room for me to drink for when I start achooing?" I think "achooing" is a much better word than coughing/sneezing.
  •  I am thankful that today is OVER. One of my hardest days as a mother EVER. I wish I would have handled things differently. The low point was losing my temper with Maddie over a HOT DOG. I told Ryan after the kids went to bed (with tears streaming down my face) that I wanted a do-over. "That's the great thing about being a parent to young children, honey, you get a do-over everyday because they won't remember this stuff in the morning." His words made me feel much better (even though Maddie probably will remember this stuff in the morning--just ask her what happened to her Dora's Pirate Adventure dvd).
  • I am thankful for this episode I found about Motherhood on mormonchannel.org
  • Today in the midst of my horrible day, I prayed that Ryan would call me. He did. He is somehow able to see me at my best even when I am acting my worst. I am thankful that I have the kind of husband that I hope calls me because I know he'll always cheer me on and give me just the pep talk I need. He even brought me home ice cream because he knows that Blizzards make any bad day better. 
  • Family Home Evening was comical. I planned a lesson entitled "Using Kind Words" (because I myself needed it, thank you very much). We had not even finished the opening song, "Love is Spoken Here," when the D-Man marched unprovoked up to Isaac and yanked on his hair as hard as he could, which caused Ike to holler in pain, and both Ryan and I (and probably Maddie as well) to reprimand Davis, who then burst into tears. I felt a little hypocritical finishing the song, "...and the things they teach are crystal clear for love is spoken here..." after that incident. It only went downhill from there.
  • At one point before bed, both Ryan and I were scolding Maddie pretty harshly for trying to KICK Davis down the stairs. "Do you know what happened to Isaac on the stairs?!?" said Ryan, "He broke his arm!!!" "Do you want Davis to fall and break his head?!?" I snapped.  "Actually," chimed Isaac, clearly oblivious to the tension in the room, "My arm didn't break, just the bones inside it." Not now, buddy, Not.Now. 
  • Good thing tomorrow I get a do-over.
Luckily this sweaty boy was too exhausted to put up much of a fight at bedtime. A dirty look was his only retaliation. 


4 comments:

Ashley said...

Girl - I love that Ryan brought you home a blizzard - and called you when you needed it! Major husband points and intuition there! And I'm so sorry today was one of THOSE days. Which just means tomorrow will be fabulous because things only go up! What a great idea to have a gratitude journal - and I love the reminder of do-over days. Children's short memories can be such a blessing sometimes when you really do want to do it over.

I'm so glad your sister were out to visit you too!!!! I want to come and play!

Hope tomorrow rocks! I'll be thinking of you!

Chrissy Jo said...

Sara, I almost called you about 10 times yesterday! Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it. Yes, thank goodness for short memories and do-over days. I'm sorry it was a rough day, but I'll be honest and say that it's nice to hear that other people have days like that too. I remember when you told me about the Dora DVD and I thought "so I'm not the only one who does stuff like that!" Way to go on following through though.

You are an amazing mom, Sara, and have taught me so much over the years. It's a rainy day here in Iowa and I wish your kids were hear to build forts with us in the basement. Miss you!

maryp said...

I had to laugh out loud at your post, because I have been having many days like that lately and it scares me to throw a newborn baby into the mix in a few months. I got mad at Ruby about dental floss of all things. But you guys are right about do-overs. Kids are amazing that they don't hold grudges...mine would never talk to me again but they love us no matter what. Your kids are so cute and I know you are a great mom and wife. I am forwarding you some blizzard coupons I just got through email. Just don't go eating a lot or else you'll blow up like my aunt Roberta. Love you girl!!!

Mandy said...

Have I told you lately that I freakin love your guts?!?! Cause I do...and am sorry you had a "do over day" but it made me feel a little better that I am not the only one who feels like I am doing a crappy job at times (lots of the time) and has kids that don't always have little halo's floating over their heads!