Monday, May 2, 2011

A Few Favorites

With this year's 4th (and final...sniff...sniff) annual Favorite Things Party coming up this Saturday, I have been thinking about what I want to share with my Iowa girls this weekend. While none of these faves seem appropriate for the party, I wanted to share the love with the blogging world just the same.

Insect Lore
This Easter my kids received a butterfly garden in their basket. We are currently harvesting baby caterpillars that get bigger and bigger each day. In the next couple of weeks we will get to watch the caterpillars grow, build their cocoons, and eventually hatch into 5 different Painted Lady butterflies. They love watching them and can't wait to transfer them to their mesh butterfly garden in the next week or so. Here is the link to their website, but I bought mine at Amazon for less than $15. A great educational experience for a small price.

Greek Style Feta Dressing

 Since my beloved Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette is nowhere to be found here in Iowa, Trader Joe's Feta dressing has taken it's place. My dear friend, Laura, introduced me to it's goodness and now I can't get enough. It seriously makes for an amazing salad. And it's only $1.99 a bottle.

Cinnamon Schoolbook Cookies
Also from Trader Joe's (can you tell I really like that place?), Cinnamon Schoolbook Cookies are such a fun snack for my kids. All of the cookies are shaped like letters and numbers, and Ike and Maddie love it when I make small words for them to sound out. Davis is a pretty big fan as well. My friend Hilery was the one who helped me discover these, and now they are a special treat around here, and they are only $2.49 a tub (who knew Trader Joe's was so affordable?). The only problem is, they don't stay around very long.

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons
Speaking of sounding out words, Isaac has been doing a lot of that lately. While I'd like to think it's because he's a super-genius (he totally IS), I owe it more to the design of this great book. Some of my teacher-friends told me about it years ago, so when Ike started showing interest in reading a little while back, I purchased the book (less than $13 on Amazon), and we are currently on lesson 40. Each lesson takes around 10 minutes and he loves it. It is his "school time." I know he would learn to read in kindergarten, but the educator in me wanted to be the one to have the experience of teaching him myself. So if you have a pre-reader who is showing interest, I highly recommend this book. And four years old seems to be the perfect age. I haven't tried it with Maddie and probably won't for another year.

Here is a little video of the Ikester reading the story from lesson #39. This was his first reading of the story.

Could you just see the pride in that little boy's eyes?

12 comments:

Brooke said...

That video just made my day. What a smart kid!!

shauni said...

Sara, This is awesome! I think it's great that you are working with Isaac at home, he is doing amazing. I volunteer in Carter's Kindergarten class reading with the kids, and I notice a HUGE difference in kids who get help at home. I also think it's great that YOU are the one who taught him to read. I hope everything is goes well for you these last couple of weeks in Des Moines!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Great favorite things! We are carrying on the tradition down here in Texas as well. I am hosting the 1st annual Texas Favorite Things party next weekend. Well see how it goes. I still wish I could be there for the Iowa version. Hope things are wrapping up well there in Des Moines. I also have all your bows finished. I just need you to email me your current address. Thanks!!!

sarita said...

Becca, I'm so glad you are doing the party in Texas! I will have to start a Connecticut version when I head to the east coast (after I make some friends, of course). I think Chrissy should take my place as the planner of Favorite Things Iowa.

Can't wait to see the bows! Thank you so much!

Kelly said...

Ummm, Isaac is AMAZING!! That was so cute. I think I need to purchase that book for Chase. Thank you for the recomendation, again. (You told me about it with Austin but I never bought it.)

Laura Bernard said...

Wahoo, Isaac! He 'da man!

Anxious to hear how the butterflies work out. Our second day in Iowa we found a caterpillar on the train tracks by our first house. We put it in a jar, assuming it would die, but it totally turned into a butterfly. I told myself it was a bit of a welcome to Iowa, a good omen to start our time there. And it was so good . . . It will get back to good one of these days.

Glad you're enjoying the dressing. Sounds like I missed out on your blue cheese one, though.

Maybe see you Thursday. I'll call later.

Meg said...

I am so sad I won't be at the party. I too will have to start one in Ohio once I make friends. Lets hope I can find people as great as all my Iowa friends!

Sam said...

sara - you are brilliant! I loved your favorite things party idea. We did it with our womens group in Decemeber and had a blast. I give you props for coming up with such a great idea! Now that you are moving maybe this is something you and brooke to do together when you visit each other. :)

Ashley said...

Oh favorite things - how did I only get to do that for ONE YEAR? But at least I got to do it - what a novel idea that was. Can you believe y'all graduate SO SOON??? CRAZY!!! When is you & ryan's trip to chicagoland?? I hope it's still on the list of things to happen!!!

PS: I have never been to Trader Joes. And I feel like I'm missing out on something HUGE by the way you talk about it! ;) Feta dressing? Yes please! If I heart bleu cheese I can only imagine my love for all things feta!

J said...

I just ordered that book to give Wyatt a little summer school, that's amazing.

Confidence with Corey said...

He is so smart!! More videos please:)

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

Wow, loved this post. Can't wait to check out that book too! What is this amazing favorite things party? Sounds like the best idea ever!