Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pella Tulip Festival

Every Mother's day weekend, the little Dutch town of Pella, Iowa, puts on their annual tulip festival. There are thousands of tulips in bloom, along with a plethora of traditional Dutch cuisine (did you know that bologna originates in Holland? Me neither, but I have since sampled a bologna taco...next time I'll pass).
On Thursday, the kids and I headed south to the festival with some friends. Even though Robyn's (so-called) trusty GPS landed us in the middle of a muddy gravel road, 30 minutes from our destination, we had a great time.
In no particular order, here are some photos of the day:
Getting wet in the fountain.
Check out all those tulips---as you can see, Maddie is thrilled.
Isaac really was.
Some Dutch women cleaning the street before the parade. Tons of people were dressed up in the traditional Dutch clothing.
Big shoes to fill.
My vampire boy loved dipping a cinnamon bear in the chocolate fountain.
These bad boys were heaven on earth--Dutch Ribbons. Potato chip meets French fry meets processed cheese and ketchup. Seriously, they were amazing.
Isaac loved the big tractors.
So did Harrison.

5 comments:

tami sue stark said...

Hey girlfriend! I've been jotting down some of your recipes and I can't wait to try them this week. I love your tulip pictures. We used to go to the tulip fields in Oregon every year and I loved the resulting photos. So pretty! Does Ryan just have one more year of school? Then what?

Mandy said...

Sara looks like you guys had a great time and now I am totally regreting not getting some of those dutch ribbons when we went! Such cute kids you have!!!

Liz said...

What!? I didn't realize you were LOST! I did notice, partway there that you weren't behind me anymore, but I figured you'd be okay with the GPS. sorry.

Chrissy Jo said...

I love that chocolate face shot. Beautiful lighting, and cutest boy ever. :-)

Robyn said...

I woke up in the night the other day laughing about Isaac sucking every last drop of chocolate off that cinnamon bear. I think that is one of the funniest things I've seen!
Thanks for being a trooper. You never know what will happen when you hang out with me!