Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Very Fortunate
Yesterday I took the kids with me when I went to vote. As I entered the elementary school where I was assigned to cast my ballot, I struggled to get the double stroller through the doors because the door frame was only about 1/4 inch wider than the stroller.
"How many kids have you got in there?!" barked the woman at the voting counter.
"Just two." I replied
I get that a lot. People commenting on the close age gap between my children. The most common response I hear is, "Boy, you've sure got your hands full, now don't you?" While this is true (I literally do have my hands full most of the time), I love having my kids close together. I have never regretted it (aside from a few weeks of agony during my pregnancy with Maddie, but I wasn't exactly sane during that period of my life). I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
When it was my turn to vote, I pulled the stroller up next to the voting booth. As I was filling in the little bubbles on my ballot, another woman approached Isaac and Maddie and was talking to them. When I finished she asked me, "Now, the little boy is older than the little girl, right?"
"Yes," I replied, "By 15 months."
"Oh! My two children were 15 and a half months apart and I loved it! But that was 50 years ago!" she gushed. After pausing for a moment, she looked at me and said, "You are very fortunate."
Indeed I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Your kids are just so cute, everyone wants to look at them. Maddie was giving me he cutest smiles on Sunday! I loved it.
I get the same comment, "you have your hands full" and Nora and Aron are 3 years apart.
Great post Sara. You really are fortunate. That was a cute thing for that lady to say.
Sara con mis 4 hijos me dicen lo mismo y con el que viene va a ser peor para mi. Ojala y la gente no fuera asi. Los niƱos son mucho trabajo pero son mi mayor fuente de felicidad. Sorry is in spanish I get nervous when I write.
you are an amazing mom Sara. I just love ya.
Awww, what a sweet comment from that lady. And, I agree! Unfortunately, you get those comments a lot less than then, "You have your hands full!"
I think this is the first time I've left a comment.... I have 3 boys. The first two are 18 months apart and the next two are 5 days less than 2 years apart. I love it!
Indeed you are so blessed! I'm glad you took your kids with you to go vote. That's awesome! I frequently am told that I "have my hands full" when I'm out in public, and I firmly aknowledge it to be true, but I also tell strangers "but we have so much fun!" :-)
I get the "You sure have your hands full." all the time, too. How refreshing to get a, "You are very fortunate." That made me cry. I love having my girls so close.
I just love it when someone says something besides, "You've got your hands full." Especially when it's something as sweet as that lady. It just makes your day, doesn't it?
I hear you about those dumb comments I get the same and mine are 2 1/2 years apart. But I would not change it for the whole world. I do lose my mind every now and then with all their extra curricular activities, but the best part is watching them be a part of the whole thing. Anyone with children is fortunate. And you are very fortunate, plus it does not hurt that they are so cute.
Sarita when you get a chance e-mail me so that I can get your address in Iowa. I'd like to send you our cute Thanksgiving tradition.
That was so sweet of that lady to say. It's great that you know how lucky you are!
Post a Comment