Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Soy un Hijo de Dios"

I have been singing "I am a Child of God" to Isaac in Spanish almost daily since he was a newborn (or at least trying to sing--I am about as tone deaf as you can be). It is a popular hymn in our church, especially among children. Just last week, he started to sing it with me. It takes a little bit of imagination to understand him (ok, a lot of imagination) and I'm not sure he understands what he's singing (in fact, I'm pretty sure he has no idea); I fear he's inherited my lack of musical talents, but I still love it.
I've been trying to get a clip of him ever since and this is the best I have been able to come up with. If you pay attention you can see him cover my mouth with his fingers when I try to help him too much with the words. And I apologize for the lack of control with the camera---he would only sing for it if he could see himself through the viewfinder. Talk about narcissistic.
This afternoon I heard him singing this song to himself in his crib after waking up from his nap. It just made my day!

10 comments:

Jessie said...

That is so cute. What a smart boy! At the end it almost sounds like EIEIO.

Haylee Mollerup said...

That is so sweet! That's AWESOME that he will grow up knowing two languages! Good job Sara!!

sarita said...

Jessie, I'm pretty sure he does think the song says "EIEIO" After all, that's what "Old McDonald" says, right?

Plus, it's easier to say than "para que algun dia yo."

Confidence with Corey said...

he is so adorable! I can't wait to see you guys again!

Chrissy Jo said...

Amazing! I love that your kids are going to grow up knowing two languages so well! I love this phase when they start singing!Soooo sweet!

Ashley said...

SO CUTE!!! And hello, you are so not tone deaf. I so wish I had been raised bilingual, seriously.

Can I say that in the bottom deepest part of my heart, I honestly keep trying to call you and something comes up. So hopefully I can call you tomorrow at work. I seriously miss you and hope your not forever mad at me at being a loser phone-caller-backer. Do you still do email?

Chris and Sally said...

That is so sweet. I have been hearing Peyton singing "I am a child of God" when he is laying in bed at night and there is nothing better than that sound. I am so happy that you put your family links up, I love looking at their blogs and I haven't been able to in a while. I hope they don't mind.
Oh yeah, my dad saw Dave and his wife at church last sunday. He said Dave was carrying a baby so my dad had to run after him to find out if it was his. It wasn't, a nephew. But he said him and his wife looked very happy.

Kelly said...

That is so cute. He is a good little singer. Have fun this weekend.

Laura Bernard said...

Oh, what a cutie! I tried speaking spanish to a little boy in the waiting room of the doctor's office today. I told the kids to say "Hola" to him. I think they thought it was his name. Every time he came back Anson would say, "lola." As for the little boy, he didn't respond to me in english or spanish so maybe he was just mute . . . : )

musson said...

That is the cutest video! Addie loved it, infact at the end she said "gin" (again)!
I also like the name change to RIMS! But I still want to expect and audit.