I'm not really sure how to sum up our summer so I'm going to take the easy way out and just post a barrage of pictures along with a little caption for each. We have had a pretty gorgeous summer here in Maine. It has been lonely in some respects because we are in a new place, but I'm so glad the kids have some neighbor friends down the street that they just adore. And that they have each other. They are really lucky to have each other. I hope someday they will realize that :)
Maddie loves summer in Maine.
This tree fell over during one of the storms last winter before we moved in. The kids have loved having it as their climbing spot, but our landlords had to remove it for safety reasons. We took one last picture with it this particular morning.
I rarely do crafts with my kids, and while flubber is far from crafty, it's a start, right? Our kids and their friends ended up playing with it for days and days.
Maddie taught Nathan how to plug her nose and they play this little nose-plugging game almost every time they're in the car together. Incidentally, we are in the car A LOT because we live in the country and most things are further away than they were when we lived in suburbia---shopping, swim lessons, and even the park. But not the beach. The beach is really really close to us. I'll take it.
My friend, Becca, came with her family for a visit to Maine and we got to spend an evening with them. It was so great to catch up with her and see her sweet kiddos.
Me and my girl at the beach.
Davis, Isaac, and Maddie spent a week at a day camp last month. It focused on nature and they got to go hiking, to the beach, and to build fairy gardens in the woods. I would drop them off each morning and pick them up each afternoon and they loved it. I think it might become an annual thing. Nathan and I got a little taste of what life will be like when the kids go back to school at the end of the month.
Superheroes unite!
This girl loves taking selfies with her baby brother.
You have to use your imagination with this photo, but if you look really close in that tree, you can see a Bald Eagle. A BALD EAGLE! It was just hanging out in a tree outside our library. I don't think I've ever seen a Bald Eagle outside of captivity. Ever. The librarian told me that it comes to that tree often. It flew away after a few minutes and it was huge! It seriously looked like a man flying through the air it's wingspan was so big.
Ryan and I recently started a new tradition--we cook together one night a week. We take turns choosing the menu. This particular week it was grilled thai chicken kabobs. I love this tradition. It gives us a chance to talk to one another and make yummy food at the same time. And believe it or not, it was HIS idea to start this little tradition of ours. He's my favorite.
These tiny little frogs are all over our yard. Sometimes the wildlife in Maine is really charming--like the Bald Eagles and the tiny frogs, and sometimes it's really creepy--like the skunks stinking up our yard or the mice in our basement. And the ticks. Don't even get me started on the ticks. Is it weird that I'm only partially dreading winter? The silver lining to the frigid temps is that all the ticks die. I can't wait for them to die. But I can wait for winter so I guess I'll deal with the ticks a little longer.
 |
| Ryan and Nathan walking up to a lighthouse near our home. We were able to climb up inside the lighthouse because it happened to be open to the public. Pretty cool. |

I know I already posted a camping picture but this one is a little different and Davis' face just cracks me up. I think that this is the picture that I will remember forever when I think of our first summer here in Maine. I love these kids so much.
1 comment:
You have me sufficiently freaked out about the ticks in Maine. I've already dug out the long tweezers to pack for our trip next month!
Post a Comment