| Over the past week or so I experienced a couple of unfortunate events---nothing earth-shattering, or even consequential in the grand scheme of things, but just disappointing enough to make me grumpy and ungrateful. And so, at a time of year when the rest of the world was focusing on the abundance of their blessings, I was acting anything but grateful. It was about this time while I was perfecting the art of feeling sorry for myself that I came across this quote shared by a friend: When you're looking for joy you will always find it hiding in your gratitude. --Ann Voskamp I have thought of it over and over since I read it. And I believe it. I love President Uchtdorf's talk, "Grateful in any Circumstance," and President Monson's conference address from a few years ago, "The Divine Gift of Gratitude." I have really been trying to have a more grateful heart and it has helped me to be happier more than any other singular effort that I have put forth. I think that Heavenly Father must get really frustrated with me at times because this is a lesson that I have had to learn over and over and over (and most certainly will learn again in the not-so-distant future). As a mother, when my children show gratitude for the things that I do for them, it really motivates me to serve them even more. I can't help but wonder if God isn't exactly the same way, especially when we are sincere and heartfelt about our thanks to Him. President Monson said, in the talk reference above, that "Sincerely giving thanks unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God's love." I have much to be grateful for. I hope I can remember to find happiness by showing gratitude, even during times of discouragement and trial. Here are four little people that I am grateful for: ![]() |
| One of the lucky two at Thanksgiving dinner who scored a turkey leg. |
![]() |
| It was too cold for sane humans to swim on Thanksgiving day, but that didn't stop our Davey and his siblings. |
![]() |
| Nater's happy face. |
![]() |
| A Jedi is always prepared, even with a helmet during cookie decorating, just in case. |




No comments:
Post a Comment