Sunday, November 2, 2014

Our Utah Trip and other Recent Snap Shots

We had an eventful October, highlighted mostly by our trip to Utah for my grandpa's funeral. In the last 7 years that we have lived away from Utah, Ryan and I have lost 4 grandparents. My grandpa is the fifth. When we learned of his death we decided we didn't want to miss anymore funerals. so we quickly got to work on travel arrangements. Miraculously we were able to find dirt cheap flights with only four days notice (a tender mercy for sure), so we all headed north. As I sat and listened to the funeral service, I felt so grateful to be a part of it. To be there in person was such a blessing, and even more so to be a part of the posterity of such a wonderful grandfather. I love my family so much.

My parents and all five of my siblings (in order from oldest to youngest, starting with my brother) at my grandpa's funeral last month.
Fischer and Isaac, twin cousins.

Davis at the grave site. 

My mom with her sister at the casket.

The weekend of the funeral happened to fall on the same weekend that my parents throw their epic Halloween bash each year. My children have never been able to attend so it was pretty sweet that we were able to be there this year.
Nathan and Luke. Two chubby cousins, a bee and a monster.
Siblings Ryan and Shannon, showing some of their ever-present rivalry. Shannon brings her kids to this party every year. She is an honorary Roundy. Her son even refers to my dad is his "third grandpa."

Ryan's dad and my dad, shooting the breeze. There's a little bit of a bromance going on here, as long as politics aren't the subject of conversation.
I dressed up as Minnie Mouse for the party and Allie is a zombie nurse from Walking Dead. All of my sisters as well as my parents helped so much to make our trip possible, letting us borrow clothes and costumes and cars and carting my kids everywhere. We couldn't have done it without them.  
My neice, Natalee. My kids want to be just like her when they grow up. I'm totally ok with that. She and her brother, Carson, are the cream of the crop. 
My CT sister, Becca (who now lives in SLC) stopped by with her kids to attend the big Halloween bash. I am so thankful I got to see her. I have missed her more than I can say since we both moved from the east coast. She helped me through three of the craziest years of my life. I don't know how I would have done it without her.
Maddie with baby Carter, hanging out under grandpa's backyard trees before the party.
On Sunday afternoon we got to spend time with Ryan's family and even meet our new neice, Tess while she and Krystal were visiting.

Krystal and Baby Tessly. She is so mellow and sweet. 
Anyone who has ever met Ryan's dad tells me that Nathan looks exactly like him. I'm so glad Nater warmed up to him (he's a hard sell with unfamiliar people these days). We love, love. loved our visit with family
Two Ninja Turtles, a toothless dragon, and Tink on Halloween night. 

Is this what your kitchen table looked like on November 1st? 

Thank you Dum Dums and Nerds for making it possible for me to mop my floor on Saturday morning. 
Maddie's selfie. She is pretty proud of her newly toothless grin. 

So many treats, so little time. Living it up at Ryan's company picnic this weekend.

Maddie loved the face paint almost as much as the balloon animals. 
Welcome November!

No comments: