Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Few Favorites: Dreary-Dead-of-Winter-Addition!

Here are a few favorite things that are helping us to (barely) survive the dead of winter otherwise known as January:

A show you should really let your kids watch :
Peg and Cat is a new show on PBS that is witty and cute and smart all rolled into one. 

Books that you should really check out from your local library:

 The Bink and Gollie books are early readers about two very different best friends. They are are so cleverly written. All three of my older kids are totally smitten with Bink and Gollie. Each of the books is full of laugh-out-loud lines like this one:

"Bink," said Gollie. "The brightness of those socks pains me. I beg you not to purchase them."

 Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. 
 Tales for Very Picky Eaters. A must for every parent with a child who complained about dinner time.
 Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds. One of Davis' favorites these days.
 Green has very few words but the illustrations are worth checking out.
 Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue, for anyone who's ever resisted bedtime.
 Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett.
Journey. This wordless book is so beautiful and imaginative. 

Last but not least, Rabbit and Robot makes me shed tears of laughter every time I read it. A hilarious early reader about a sleepover that doesn't go exactly as planned. I'm not sure if it's because Rabbit reminds me more of my crazy 3 year-old or my OCD self, but I seriously love this book and am crossing my fingers that it's the first of many in a series. 

Recipes you should really try:

Golden Lentil Stew from Martha Stewart Living. I have not been successful in finding golden lentils so I subbed for the green variety and it is one of my favorite new soups. It's a little bit more complicated than I like for a week-night meal but it is really so delicious and like nothing else I've ever made before.

Stir-Fried Broccoli from MKK. For anyone who is tired of boring old steamed veggies. 

One Hour Whole Wheat Bread  from Real Mom Kitchen. It takes me closer to and hour and 15 minutes from start to finish, and it tastes delicious. My favorite whole wheat bread recipe ever. 

Indian Butter Chicken from MKK.  Ryan and I both agree that this is a restaurant-quality Indian dish. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

There you have it, a few of my favorites that I hope will brighten your dreary January day. And if you are one of my few friends/family who isn't experiencing a dreary January (shout out to CA, TX, and AZ!) then I am jealous of you. And I still hope these suggestions make your sunny days even brighter!!

5 comments:

Chris and Sally said...

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!! I'm going to the library tomorrow! And I'll have you know it's been cold here in Texas. But our cold is for just a few days then back to the 70's. It's pretty rough. :)

allie said...

Thanks for the list, I just put them all on hold!!!I love you!

Kelly said...

I need to make that Indian Butter Chicken. It looks delicious. I've been into making Indian dishes lately. That lentil stew looks really good too. Thanks for the suggestions. We've been cold here. Well at least people from AZ think so. It's in the 50's this week. I know tough life. But we are always 10-15 degrees cooler than most of AZ.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

We are big fans of Pete the Cat! And I don't know what Indian Butter Chicken is, but it sounds amazing!

Maryann said...

We've checked out some of the books on your list and I'm eager to try some of the ones we haven't. We have that Pete the Cat book right now and you better believe that i have been saying in a sing song voice to my children, "Do we cry? Goodness no! (insert whatever thing they are whining about losing, having to throw away, etc. here) comes and (insert again) go." Love it. It annoys them. I also love creepy carrots.

Thanks for links to the recipes. Always looking for something and I really want to try making bread. I still haven't done that.