Sunday, September 2, 2012

to the wolves...

Davis and Ryan playing after the D-Man's bath.
I imagine it's a somewhat common emotion to feel a little bit helpless as you send your child to school for the first time, like you are sending them to the wolves. Will his teacher take good care of him? Is he ready? Will he make good friends? What kinds of things will he learn from other children? All of these questions and others have been on my mind lately, so I was anxious to talk to Isaac after his first day of school. As we sat down outside an ice cream shop near our home, he began to tell me about his day.

"I made some new friends, but there were a few girls from another class that weren't being nice to us on the playground. They weren't giving us a turn on the slide and they were calling us mean names...Mom, what does whore mean?"
Choking on my saliva, I tried to remain cool and calm, but inside my heart was in my stomach. Day ONE and he's already learning horrible words! I'll never make it through a week, let alone a year! "Who said that word to you?" I asked casually. "Where did you hear that?"
Pointing to the door of the ice cream shop, he said, "It says right there, H--O--U--R, whore. What does that mean?"

We spent the next minute discussing how the ice cream shop is open 7 days a week and nothing about degrading names or promiscuous females. Thank goodness.

4 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

That made me laugh! When Natali went to kinder....one day she came home and told me that the 'F' word was a VERY bad word. I had an internal freak out! I asked who she heard the word from and she gave me a name of a boy in her class. I didn't ask much more because I didn't want to hear such a filthy word come out of my babies mouth. I emailed to the teacher wondering if there had been a situation in the classroom. I got a phone call the next day from the teacher. She said that Natali confirmed that the 'F' word was a very bad word and told her which little boy said it. The SMART teacher then asked Natali what the "F" word was. Natali said, "Its FAT!". I felt so relieved and stupid all at the same time :)

Liz said...

To The Wolves: I literally have a post with this title sitting in my mailbox. This is exactly how i felt sending Jack to middle school this year. Just beware: it was from a kindergarten classmate that jack learned the mechanics of s3x.

thepalmierifamily said...

Oh how hard! Aaron started taking the bus to summer school and I did shed a tear or two. :P So hard. The last few times we've waved good-bye to Aaron, Jordan has called after him "fai il bravo!", translation, "be a good boy!" And I try and wrap my brain around when the embrace like it's been 2 years at the end of the day, mostly for sanity's sake when they are bickering and fighting later. :) I also worry if he'll have the skills he needs when other kids are mean or belittling. Will he resist making bad choices? Oh the mother angst. No wonder they say the first years are so important. They have to know it by kindergarten. Have I done enough?! You have my dear, you have. You're doing great!

Laura Bernard said...

Oh, honey! My heart just skipped a beat for you! I'm so glad it wasn't as it seemed, but it is inevitable, isn't it? Dying to talk to you. Been lots going on. Aaron and I leave for Mexico Friday so it will be a crazy week getting ready to go. Maybe on my drive to DSM for my OB appt. Tuesday?

Miss you . . .