Thursday, September 13, 2012

"I'll Share Her With You"


My favorite kindergartner at the park.

My maternal grandmother is very ill. Even though she is 91 years old and her health has been deteriorating for some time, it is still hard to think about her leaving us any moment, especially living 2,000 miles from home. After getting an update on how she's doing from my mom this evening, Ryan asked me about our conversation and I suddenly burst into tears. Not long after, Maddie came prancing into the kitchen from outside.

"Are you crying, mom? What's wrong?" When she sees me cry she has a tendency to tear up herself, and this particular moment was no exception.

"I'm just a little bit sad because my grandma is sick. Remember Grandma Bond? She is the one who made you your very favorite pink blanket."

"She's going to be okay, mom, she'll get better." she said through tears.

"Yeah, or maybe she will go to live with Heavenly Father instead." I said.

While giving me a big hug she stated, "Mom, it's okay, if your Grandma dies, then your mom is my Grandma and I'll share her with you."

5 comments:

Confidence with Corey said...

Reading this made me tear up too! Maddie is such a sweetheart. Sure do miss you guys right now.

Samantha R said...

That is so sweet! Kids as so close to the spirit.

Jay and Heath said...

What a sweet girl you have. That is precious. Thanks for sharing. Xoxo

Chrissy Jo said...

So tender and so heart breaking at the same time. What a kind hearted little lady you have, Sara. I'm glad you wrote that one down. It will be a keeper forever.

Laura Bernard said...

Oh, dear friend. So sorry to hear your sad news. Maddie is a dear, of course, but so sad for you. I assume you won't be able to make it to the funeral-which has probably already happened. I'm a little behind. And I'm thinking I missed your birthday, too. Feeling bad about that, too. I love you and am thinking of you . . .