Friday, September 14, 2012

Grandma Bond

Grandma and Grandpa Bond at Corey's wedding, February 2012. I love this picture of her.
 My Grandma passed away early this morning. Like my mom told me, now she no longer needs her hearing aid and I'm sure she's having a sweet reunion with all of her siblings. She was the 10th of 11 children and the last to pass on.
Things I will remember about my Grandma are:

  • Sleepovers with all the grandchildren at her house in the summer growing up. She and my grandpa would buy bags and bags of sawdust and hide coins in it and we would hunt for the money. 
  • Grandma was feisty! She was not afraid of voicing her opinion, and even when she didn't voice it, her feelings were written all over her face.
  • Listening to her tell the story of the Christmas day when she was born in rural Utah.
  • Hearing her tell the story of how she and my grandpa met. They got engaged through a letter because he was fighting in WWII. I think that is so romantic. I'm sure he is missing her.
  • She wrote to me regularly while I was on my mission.
  • She and my grandpa served a mission in Accra, Ghana. Even though I was fairly young when they they left their sacrifice has always been an example to me. 
  • She loved loved loved her sports, more than any women I have ever known. 
  • Divinity fudge and her famous slushie drink. She made it every year and had it at her house on Christmas. 
  • The baby blankets she made for my kids. I don't know if Maddie will ever outgrow hers, and Davis now uses the one she made for Isaac, though Ike has been known to steal it back from time to time. 

Brooke's baby shower, February 2012. 
I am so thankful that I was able to see my grandma one last time while I was in Utah last month. She was such a strong woman and so faithful---I have never doubted the strength of her testimony. She and my grandpa have always been examples of living righteously. I love you, Grandma!

4 comments:

Chrissy Jo said...

Not even my grandma and I am tearing up reading this. I am SOOOO pregnant. Know that I am thinking of you, Sara, and praying for your grandpa.

Carlee said...

I'm sorry you lost your Grandma. Mine passed away last summer and it was sad even though I knew that she was going on to a happy place. She sounds like the kind of lady that I would like. I like them feisty!

J said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family Sara.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry, Sara. She sounds like a wonderful lady! I love the legacy that she left you.

I'm glad you wrote this down because you've reminded me I haven't done the same for my G'ma Millie. Our kids need to know about those special little memories we have of them.

When we make the trek back to Idaho I always leave feeling a little empty because I didn't get to see my grandma when I was there! I'm still not used to it.

P.S. I loved the pic of you and Ryan that Maddie took. So sweet.