Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolve

The kids and I back in October when the first snowstorm of the season hit. We haven't had snow since and that's fine by me.
Do you set New Year's Resolutions? I have been thinking about them quite a bit over the past few days, mulling over whether or not to set any. I mean, ideally, shouldn't I be constantly trying to improve myself? On the other hand, what better time of year than at the beginning of it to make necessary changes to have a more meaningful life? While talking to a dear friend today, she told me that she likes to set goals instead--I think I will adopt her philosophy. For some reason, goals seem easier to keep than a breakable resolution.

I won't bore you with the details of my goals for 2012 (mostly because I haven't exactly set any yet), but I will share an article I read recently about things that happily married couples do. It's in the most recent issue of the Ensign and it's something that every married couple might benefit from reading. My favorite quote came from the section titled "Date Frequently." It lists some reasons why dating often is important and then ends with, "Above all, recognize that a babysitter is cheaper than a divorce." Well said, Dr. Brinley, well said. So I guess I will share just one goal with you--to date my husband more frequently :)

January has always been my least favorite month of the year. Bitter cold and boring, if you ask me. This year, though, I've turned over a new leaf. I welcome January with open arms. Why? First off, this January is far from bitter. Cold, yes. Bitter, no. Second and more significantly, I'm not sad to say goodbye to 2011. I am overjoyed to welcome a new year. And lastly, both teaching primary and having children in primary has helped me see how exciting January can be. New teachers, new students, and new classes is definitely something to be excited about. Isaac leaned over and whispered in my ear this morning just before sacrament meeting started, "I made sure to get a lot of rest last night. I want to be prepared to meet my new teacher today." Maddie got to make the switch to sunbeams today, but before she would let me take her to primary she insisted on saying goodbye to her nursery teachers. Pretty stinkin' cute if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

jodie said...

Clay and I laughed so hard when we read the quote about a babysitting being cheaper than divorce in that article. True...and very bluntly said.

Oh and how cute is Maddie? I'd like to think if we still lived close to each other Hallie and Maddie would be total buds.

Laura Bernard said...

Ah, I love you! And I love those darn stinkin cute kids of yours!

I hope 2012 is better for you than the last few months have been . . . except I was actually physically in your life in 2011 so that's pretty tough to make up for! : )

Thanks for calling yesterday. It really meant so much to me. Getting choked up thinking about it. I love having such dear friends. Only wish they weren't all so far away.

Good luck goal setting. Maybe we can swap lists later . . . keep each other inspired!