I am a sucker for a good children's book. I recently heard someone say, "Forget flowers! Bring me a children's book instead" and I loved it. One day I hope to add hundreds of books to our current collection. Since we frequent the library often, I have some current favorites that I want to share:.
 |
| Mo Willems is definitely a contender for my favorite children's author of all time. city dog, country frog is different than any of his other books but it is just as noteworthy. It is simple, tender, and sweet. |
 |
| There are five books in the Llama, llama series by Anna Dewdney. Anyone with young children will be able to relate to the different situations that Mama and Llama find themselves in. While I have only been able to find three of the five books, Llama llama, Mad at Mama is my favorite. |
 |
| Food for Thought is our current Freymann/Elffers read, but all of their collaborations are great. The books are simple enough for the youngest readers, but the illustrations are clever enough for children of all ages--they are made using nothing but fruits and vegetables. |
 |
| I know I've already put in a plug for both Mo Willems and the Piggie and Elephant books, but seriously, Can I Play Too? is laugh-out-loud funny. And these are some of the best early readers I have ever seen. |
 |
| Grandpa Green received a Caldecott honorable mention this year. It's a sweet story told from the perspective of Grandpa's great grandson. |
 |
| This wordless book, The Red Book, by Barbara Lehman, has been Maddie's almost-constant companion since we found it at the library a couple of weeks ago. It received a Caldecott honorable mention in 2004 and, in my opinion, is much more interesting and creative than this year's award winner, A Ball for Daisy. |
 |
| Also a Caldecott honorable mention, Blackout was an instant hit with my kids. Not to mention that the illustrations are amazing. |
.jpg) |
| My friend, Hilery, introduced me to Press Here months ago and my preschool students were instantly smitten. It is a fun interactive read that will make you wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?" |
.jpg) |
| Last but not least, my friend, Chrissy, first introduced us to Kid Tea years ago and it is one that we check out from the library time and time again. I think I may have even mentioned it in a previous post. It is colorful, catchy, and even comes in the board book variety (a double bonus if you have a Davis-like reader). |
Now it's your turn. I'd love to hear your recommendations!
2 comments:
Another awesome wordless book is The Flower Man by Max Ludy. Your kids will love it. I even used it in my Young Women's lesson recently on being Christlike.
Thanks for sharing, Sara! I love kids books...they remind me of my childhood and they are something that the kids and I can easily enjoy together. A few of these I would recommend too and others I hadn't hear of. We're all sick here...hope to talk to you soon when things return to normal.
Post a Comment