You see, most (not all) East Coast families are smaller than mine. Much smaller. In fact, in my limited observations, not counting church friends, most CT families consist of one or two children. At the library...the park...the grocery store...children are more of a scarcity than in other parts of the country where we have previously called home. That being said, I sometimes feel like a circus act when I take all three kids out by myself (which is probably more often than my sanity should allow). Logical-me likes to think that no one is really gawking at me like it appears, they are all too worried about their own lives and their own problems. But then self-conscientious-me is certain that they really are staring and thinking all sorts of things about how I'm "in over my head" and need a lesson on birth control.
For the record, most people are very kind to me and my little ones. And no one has been downright rude. I've come to the conclusion that my choice to raise three small children very close together is one that not all people find appealing, so they might have a hard time understanding why it DOES appeal to me. And I am totally o.k. with that. To each his own, right? So I have been trying really hard not to be a mind-reader (even though I know I'm really good at it) or get anxious when I think someone might possibly be judging the way in which I am choosing to raise my family. After all, I'm 32 and 3/4 years old, it's high time I stop caring what other people (might) think of me!
I had an epiphany recently after reading this blog post. With all the mothering groove/child-rearing/self-conscientious thoughts on my mind, I suddenly realized, aren't we all in this together? Shouldn't we be helping each other as much as we can? Forget being secretly overjoyed upon seeing another child throw a tantrum in public (my kid NEVER throws tantrums THAT big) or gagging while reading a sweet post about how motherhood is bliss (she's totally lying through her teeth right now), because sometimes it really is. So I choose, here and now, to judge less and love more. Want to join me?
I read a great quote from this inspirational talk:
"may we try to be 'perfect' men and women in at least this one way now--by offending not in word, or more positively put, by speaking with a new tongue, the tongue of angels. Our words, like our deeds, should be filled with faith and hope and charity, the three great Christian imperatives so desperately needed in the world today. With such words, spoken under the influence of the Spirit, tears can be dried, hearts can be healed, lives can be elevated, hope can return, confidence can prevail."
I am making a resolve today to be happy and supportive to all my fellow mothers out there. After all, don't we all want what is best for our children? At the end of the day, I would dare say that, more than anything else, every mother just wants to give her kids the very best she can.
On that note, I have wanted to share the very best recipe I can for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies for a long time. So check out the link on my side bar. You won't regret it, at least not until you've eaten the entire plate of them yourself. When all is said and done, mothering requires a lot of chocolate.
| Because every post deserves a picture. |
7 comments:
Sara,
You are hands down one of the most supportive mothers I know! And surely the only thing "those people" are thinking is how amazing this beautiful wonder woman is with three adorable kids.
There are no perfect mothers - just yesterday I totally chided Eleanor for not being able to spell cherry. I know, proud moment. So, I apologized, ate some chocolate chip cookies and I feel much better.
You are a rock star mom, Sara...pretty much my idol when it comes to mothering. Love your insight, your honesty, and the quote you shared.
Miss Sara, I love you to bits and miss you more than I can say, my friend. I think you're the coolest mom around. I've learned so much from you over the years and received so much validation from you. Thanks for always being my motherhood cheerleader.
P.S. Those Chocolate Chip Cookies ARE the best. I'm pretty sure you were the one to introduce me to them years ago and I haven't stopped making them since. ;-)
I love those cookies! They are so delicious. Mmmm, browned butter.
Also: I heard an essay by Po Bronson last week on NPR. It was about men trying to preserve their manliness after they become fathers and how in the end, they really were not men until they BECAME fathers. It was good!
Hang in there, at holidays and celebrations in 25 years, you'll be glad you had a big family.
I have been thinking about this post a lot ever since I read it a couple days ago. I too am always worried about whY others think of me especially when I am out running errands. I suppose they have the right to think I am in over my head when I am at the post office trying to send some packages and both kids are crawling on the floor, sadie is attacking the greeting cards and cam is yelling at her:) but then again it would be nice if someone offered to help me out insteAD of watching me run back and forth from the counter to my kids. We moms have to stick together. And I promise to be less judgmental too. Cause you never know who is having a bad day and could use a friendly smile or helping hand. U r doing amazing. Don't ever let the east coast mentality get u down. Most the moms there have two kids or less and still need a nanny and housecleaner to help them out.
Sara I love you for so many reasons, and this blog post is just one of them! Here's to judging less and loving more! Ps if we are ever standing somewhere with a huge line of Mom's and someone gets to pick teams....I wanna be on your team!!
Sara I love you for so many reasons, and this blog post is just one of them! Here's to judging less and loving more! Ps if we are ever standing somewhere with a huge line of Mom's and someone gets to pick teams....I wanna be on your team!!
Post a Comment