Thursday, June 18, 2009

Confessions of a School Teacher

Confession: I haven't been very good at reading to my children. As a teacher, I have preached the value of reading to children to countless parents, and yet somewhere along the way I became a hypocrite.
It's not that I never read to them, I just haven't done it as often as I should. A book here or a story there. I used to be stellar at reading to Isaac, but something happened the day we brought Maddie home from the hospital and my workload suddenly doubled (excuses, excuses).
Isaac has always loved books but Maddie---not so much. A few weeks ago I decided that something had to change. After brainstorming with a friend, I have decided to block out a specific time each day just to read and sing songs with them. It has done wonders for both of their desires to read. We usually do it right after breakfast. Yesterday morning I hadn't said anything to Isaac about reading, but I asked Maddie while taking her out of her high chair if she wanted to read some stories. By the time I carried her over to the living room where we usually read, Isaac (who must have overheard me talking to Maddie) was all ready to go. He was sitting down quietly on his pillow and had pulled one off the couch for Maddie. It was really cute.
I realize that schedules/routines don't work for everyone, but this one has really been working for us. Wish me luck that I'll be able to keep it up!
Baby Food is Maddie's current favorite. She carries it around and throws it at me (translation: Read this book to me, Mama) several times a day. If you haven't read this book and you have a toddler in the house, I highly recommend it. It's adorable.
Tren de Carga: Isaac's current favorite. "Cars drive on the road, trains drive on the track," is something he repeats several times a day. He loves to read now more than ever.
While cooking dinner tonight I poked my head around the corned to see what the kids where up to. This is what I found---Two "readers!"---it just melts my little teacher heart.

7 comments:

Chrissy Jo said...

Way to go, Sara! You're doing great! I love it when everything gets quiet and I go looking for mischief makers only to find happy readers...

I looked for that baby food book last time I was at the library but they don't have it here. We'll have to read it next time we come to your house. :-)

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Love the baby food book! I've been bad about reading since J came. I still do bedtime stories for Malaina, but hardly ever devote time just to him. Time to refocus - thanks for the inspiration.

Trieste said...

I love it! Don't you think it's funny to look back on things that you said to parents as a teacher and realize you need to be following your own advice. We do read every night, but I do want to devote more time during the day like you've done. I also am really bad about taking my kids to the library...something about a 4 and 2 year old running around and being too noisy just seems to keep me away. I'm glad you found a time that will work for you, thanks for giving me more incentive to do better also!!!

Jessica said...

That is awesome Sara! I admit that I haven't been the greatest reader with Indie mostly because all she wants to do is eat the book. I bought bigger books so she has a hard time putting them in her mouth and that has made it better. Although all she really wants to do is turn the page so all I have time to do is point out a few things on each page. I was panicked that I wasn't doing a better job but I talked to one of her early intervention therapists and she said as long as I am talking to her and singing to her then she is learning even if it's not directly from a book. I need to try to be on more of a schedule and see if that helps. Thanks for the motivation!

Robyn said...

That last pic melted my heart too. I'm so happy it's working out great.... I had a good week too with our plans. It felt so good, and went to bed feeling like I got the most important things done. Thanks for being my brainstorming buddy!

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

Ohh. What a good mom! It's true, i was watching some kids the other day, and they said they hate stories... how sad is that?!?!?

Kelli said...

I haven't read anyone's blog forever, so I was just catching up on yours. I had the exact same thought about reading to Ariana the other day. I am the worst. I don't know why, because I love to read to her. I think it is harder now we just send her to bed instead of going with her. I get so mad at my students' parents who don't make it a priority. Also, most of my books are at school. Ari is going to go to afternoon kindergarten at my school next year, and come hang out it my room at the end of the day. I will have to let her "dig in" then.