Saturday, October 18, 2008
Keeping Up the Tradition
Every year since our first October together, Ryan and I have made caramel apples. The only difference this year was that after finishing the dipping, not only did we have a plethora of yummy apples, we also had a crazy toddler on our hands who had almost completely overdosed on sugar! He was actually really funny to watch.
Needless to say, he had a hard time getting to bed that night---as in, he was literally bouncing up and down in his crib for who-knows-how-long before actually falling asleep. Next year we'll moderate his sugar intake a little bit more closely. Live and learn, right?
In my family, when it comes to food, you either go big or you go home. Although we only dipped 8 apples, we had 5 different toppings (cinnamon sugar, Oreos, M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, and toffee chips that aren't shown) and two kinds of chocolate. In hindsight, it might have been just a little over the top.
Isaac discovered he could get more M&Ms in his mouth if he stuck his entire fist in there along with the candy. As his parents, we are so proud.
Little Maddie slept through the whole thing. Don't worry, sweetheart, next year we'll let you eat a lot more than just your socks...Tonight we attempted to go to a local pumpkin patch as a family but unfortunately they only took cash or check and we are card people (seriously, who carries around a bunch of cash these days? We can't be the only irresponsible ones who don't stop at an ATM on the way just in case and I'm wondering if it wouldn't help their business if they just invested in a credit card machine. I'm just sayin'...). We let Isaac run around the little "Pumpkin Purchasing" area and then headed to Wendy's for dinner instead. Maybe next weekend we'll try again and actually come home from the pumpkin patch with a pumpkin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Oh Sara, we are totally card people too! I hate it when I have to go pull out cash at the ATM... and I'm still using Utah checks, even though we've been here for over a year! I love the pictures of Isaac, especially the one with his fist in his mouth! Hilarious!
Yummy, we need to make some of those this year! Isaac and Maddie look so cute!
Yeah, those apples look DELICIOUS!!! Did you just use regular carmel squares? And then you dipped it in chocolate and white chocolate? Was it semi-sweet or milk-chocolate?
I think we will adopt this yummy tradition into the musson home starting this year... maybe this next weekend. YUM!
I want to eat those apples!! They look SOOO GOOD!! Will you post your "carmel recipe"???
As for the pumpkin patch, at least you got cute pictures out of it!! :)
Wow those are some yummy apples. You people are serious about food. And here here about the cash thing, who carries it anymore and checks well I don't like leaving that much information to people I just met.
Like I said before, we are stealing this tradition idea from you and adding it to ours. They just look way to good.
What a fun tradition! The apples look 100% to die for. And I agree, rarely do I have cash, and if I do it's not much. For the pumpkin patches sake they should get a machine!
Thank you so much for the apple it was as delicious as it looked! We never have cash either, there are a couple of food stores downtown that only take cash and I am always amazed that they can stay in business because like you I don't feel like I'm only one that doesn't carry around cash, but they are still there.
Your apples look wonderful, I would love your recipe. What a fun tradition! Sorry about the pumpkin patch- at least you still got cute pictures! I love Isaac's hat. I always think it's funny when places will take a check but not a card, does anyone even use checks anymore?
Aside from you and your family, I think the next biggest thing I miss are those apples. I am going to have to hide your blog from the kids so they don't ask me to pull that off.
Oh how we miss those apples! I was just thinking to myself, They were always good about sharing those caramel apples, I wonder if they will send some from Iowa this year?! We miss the good ol' days when you could just walk them downstairs!
1. I'm not sure what's wrong with you, but I always have cash on hand. And in my car just in case. And some coins too in case my kids want to go on a horsey ride at Walmart.
2. I never let my kids each sugar!
How fun! You cracked me up in this post!
Post a Comment