Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer, is a personal account of the author's experience climbing Mt. Everest in 1996 and the tragic deaths that took the lives of many of his teammates during the expedition. I would highly recommend this book to just about anyone. It absolutely reeled me in--I couldn't stop reading it. It is a truly haunting story that has made it hard for me to think about anything else. Even though he tells you in the first couple of pages who dies (the book is dedicated to his teammates who lost their lives), I couldn't help but be caught up in the suspense of the book.
One thing I know for sure--I NEVER want to hike Mt. Everest. I don't care if I ever even make it to Nepal/Tibet to see the mountain in real life. Don't get me wrong, I have more admiration and respect than ever for those who have summited the mountain---I just don't have any desire to be one of those people!
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Into Thin Air
Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer, is a personal account of the author's experience climbing Mt. Everest in 1996 and the tragic deaths that took the lives of many of his teammates during the expedition. I would highly recommend this book to just about anyone. It absolutely reeled me in--I couldn't stop reading it. It is a truly haunting story that has made it hard for me to think about anything else. Even though he tells you in the first couple of pages who dies (the book is dedicated to his teammates who lost their lives), I couldn't help but be caught up in the suspense of the book.
One thing I know for sure--I NEVER want to hike Mt. Everest. I don't care if I ever even make it to Nepal/Tibet to see the mountain in real life. Don't get me wrong, I have more admiration and respect than ever for those who have summited the mountain---I just don't have any desire to be one of those people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I totally hear ya on getting caught up in the suspense. I'm at the summit part, and didn't get to ready any lastnight...I'm totally antsy because of it....
Can't wait for book club!
I'm so curious now about human nature, why are we so compelled to read such a tragic event? Why is it that as soon as I realized it was a "disaster" and that people would be dying did it seem that much more interesting? Did he just write well, or would other disasters be as interesting? . . . I loved it, loved it all from the beginning and on. Can't wait to see you Friday!
Thanks for the review on the book! Once tax season is over I'm totally going to read it. I just read Ryan's birthday blog and you need to tell him that from someone older and wiser, he needs to learn how to accept gifts. It really makes life a lot more enjoyable if you ask me! Anyway, tell him happy belated birthday and good luck on his exams! I'll call you tomorrow so we can discuss BL and LOST....I just know it's going to be a great episode! (Is it lame that I'm excited to talk to you about tv? You know you're one of my favorite people, so I'm excited to talk to you too!).
maybe next time i'll actually read the book!
Sara!! I had no idea you were expecting again! That is so wonderful! Congrats.
It sounds like you and Ryan are doing great. I'm so glad! Things with me are good too. Really good!
Tell Ryan hello for me.
I want to read this book! I read a book by him awhile back and it was really good. "Into the Wild"...based on a true story. Those are always the best! I like to see good friends who are also into reading...makes me feel less like a nerd. So I bet there is a big party planned for the Oscars tomorrow huh? I remember my first experience at the Roundy household during the Oscars....fun times and good food. Hope you are healthy and happy!
I don't feel bad for people who die up there. They do it to themselves. I don't think of it as tragic. Think before you do. I really want to read it but I don't think I'll be as emotional or feel bad for them as everyone else does. I know of the story and I have seen interviews of the guy who survived. It's an interesting story I'm sure.
Post a Comment