Elder Holland did it again! His messages always speak to me in a special way (let's face it, everyone loves Elder Holland). I myself am a recovering perfectionist, and though I've come a long way over the past few years, it still creeps back in more often than I would like. But Elder Holland's explanation of "Be ye therefore perfect" from Matthew 5:48 was just wonderful. And I love his words about the New Testament's definition of perfection is "finished and complete", not flawless.
"Brothers and sisters, every one of us aspires to a more Christlike life than we often succeed in living. If we admit that honestly and are trying to improve, we are not hypocrites; we are human. May we refuse to let our own mortal follies, and the inevitable shortcomings of even the best men and women around us, to make us cynical about the truths of the gospel or hope for our future or the possibility of true godliness. If we persevere, then somewhere in eternity our refinement will be finished and complete—which is the New Testament meaning of perfection." —Jeffrey R. Holland
I haven't yet caught up with all of the sessions I missed yesterday, but man, conference is just hitting it out of the park this time! It just seems to get better and better.
No comments:
Post a Comment