![]() |
| Photo credit: Cori Sorenson |
It's crazy how 10 years can simultaneously feel like forever and the blink of an eye at the same time. Has it really been that long? After some recent calculations, I came to the conclusion that during our 10 years of marriage, Ryan and I have experienced 10 moves, lived in 5 different states, owned 4 cars, earned 2 degrees, spent 6 months living apart during his fourth year of medical school, survived an intense 3 year surgical residency, and added 4 children to our family.
I like to think that we have a pretty spectacular marriage. That being said, I hope everyone feels as loved, validated, appreciated, and supported by their spouse as I do. Through all the trials that we have been through, our relationship has always been a strength. He makes me a better person. I never would have guessed that we would celebrate our 10th anniversary in the most north-eastern state in the country, as far away from family in the continental United States that we can get.
But you know what? I wouldn't change anything.
We talk pretty much nightly about our children and how we can help them, where we are falling short as parents, how hard (and at the same time rewarding) this stage of life is in the trenches with young children all around us, and how, even though we have no idea what we are doing, at least we are doing it together. It is not uncommon--particularly during exceptionally chaotic moments with the children (like a diaper blowout or a middle-of-the-night bed-wetting incident)--for Ryan to look at me and start singing, "You're gonna miss this...you're gonna want this back..." Without fail, no matter how cranky I am about the midnight wake-up call, I can't help but laugh. I love that he has the ability to change my mood in stressful situations.
When I am having a rough day, I still sometimes day dream about the morning 10 years ago when I married my better half. That perfect day is still my happy place, only I have since added countless other happy memories to go along with it. I can't wait to see where the next 10 years takes us.

No comments:
Post a Comment