Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Life in Maine So Far...

It's been over a month since we moved to Maine. I should document the actual move, for no other reason than to deter us from ever moving cross-country again--ha! Let's just say that Nathan does not travel well, and the red eye flight from SLC to JFK were some of the longest hours of my life trying to console a very tired, very angry toddler. Once we made it to Maine, that following day was really difficult. I was completely exhausted and overwhelmed, so naturally, when I saw that the rental we had decided to live in (all online, sight unseen) was equipped with carpet in the bathroom, it was more than I could bare. I think I actually sat down in the hall and started to cry. I am happy to report that after a good night's sleep and a decent meal, I was able to see past the horrible flooring choice for the master bath and see all of the great things about our new home. It really is very charming. 

With Ryan's new job came a new schedule. He works four days a week (10 hours a day), which means that he is off every Wednesday. I love Wednesdays so much. Like, so, so, so much. As in, my favorite day of the week kind of love. While many of our recent Wednesdays have been dedicated to errands (hello DMV!), some have been spent exploring our new town. Above is a picture of the family at the Rockland Breakwater lighthouse. There are supposedly dozens of lighthouses in the midcoast area. 

When we arrived in Maine in late March the snow was still piled high. The kids were thrilled after coming from Arizona and not having a winter. Here is Isaac enjoying the fluffy white stuff right after an April storm. 

The kids have adjusted so well to their new school. It has been the easiest transition for them of any move that we have made. A tender mercy for sure. Since we live in such a small town, most of the children in their class have been together since pre-k (there is only one class in each grade level). Every time I think about how the children in their classes have embraced them and befriended them, I get teary-eyed. I am so grateful for their kindness and inclusion. 

These two are the best of frenemies. Sometimes it seems like they will never stop fighting, but I don't know what they would do without each other. They'll grow out of it, right? (please tell me they will!)

Ryan and the younger boys at another lighthouse in the area. 

We live in such a small town that there in no public garbage pickup (seriously?!!?) I was initially shocked by this but I have since gotten used to it. The kids hate the fact that we have to take our own garbage to the dump AND sort our recycling. Their attitude towards it makes me kind of like it. I feel like I'm teaching them to work by having them sort garbage. I'm sure Davis is giving me some extravagant excuse for why he isn't working in this photo.
These are Belted Galloway cows and they are common here in Maine. I think they are so cute. We spent last Saturday at a local farm where they presented all of the recently born calves. 

Maine doesn't feel like home yet, but it does feel like a great place to raise our family. I hope we will be here a really long time.
We had our very first visitors this past weekend. Our friends from Connecticut spent a few days with us. 8 kids between us--it was crazy and fun and we loved having old friends around.

2 comments:

Matt and Erin said...

Glad you're settling in to Maine and that this has been a smooth transition for your fam! I don't want to imagine what moving across the country is like. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks, though. :) I'm pretty sure it'd take me a lot less than carpet to make me cry after such an ordeal. xoxo

Maryann said...

Just caught up with your blog. You make me so happy. I can't wait to come visit someday. I had to laugh at your carpet in the bathroom cry. My rental here in Michigan has carpet in the bathroom. As in THE bathroom. Not sure how I have survived four years. I really think it should be illegal. Fortunately, I have a very tiny half bath and Sidon is only allowed to use the toilet in there and I have a little upholstery cleaner. So, if you are ever disgusted by your carpeted bathroom, call me. I'll totally understand. :)