Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Why

Grandma Mary-Ann showing the kids pictures of Maine the night that we told them about the big move. They took it with mixed emotions until I told them we might be getting a wii next winter since it snows so much in the northeast and it will be something fun that we can do together as a family. Cue cheers and squeals of delight. I'm not above bribery. 
As the reality of our cross-country move sets in we are knee deep in preparations to get our family back to the east coast. Housing arrangements, movers, boxes, trips to Goodwill, you know the drill. I wanted to record my thoughts and feelings about this move before they get swallowed up in the inevitable stress of the next few months.

This job change came about when Ryan decided that he would shoot a couple of resumes out to different job postings around the country. He has a good job here in Phoenix but it isn't one that either one of us could see him sticking with long term for various reasons that I won't bore you with. A couple of those potential jobs got back to him, and the one in Maine was particularly interested in setting up an interview to meet him. They invited both of us out to the east coast for a long weekend of interviewing and exploring the town. I must admit that it was really, really nice to spend that time with just Ryan and I (a first), knowing that our babies were safe in the hands of my in-laws.

Although the town is small, snowy, and very far from home, we really liked it. Children were playing hockey and ice skating outside, it is right along the coast and the water was so so beautiful, and everyone in the town was so welcoming. It has a really small town feel along with a hint of tourism. I got the feeling that it is where Mainers go for a getaway (sorta like Park City for Utahans but on a smaller scale and with an ocean instead of mountains).

It was comforting and a relief to know that we liked the town, especially since the people at the hospital really seemed to like Ryan. From the day that this opportunity presented itself to us, we have really tried to be prayerful about our decision (if there ended up being one). Both Ryan and I decided that if we make this move, we want it to be long-term. We want it to be because we see ourselves raising our family there. We were able to attend church there the Sunday morning before we left. It is a small branch of about 75 members. I prayed and prayed that if this were the right move for our family, that I would feel good about the branch since it will be such a big part of our life in Maine. We entered the chapel right after the opening prayer, and as we began to sing the sacrament hymn I felt a wave of peace wash over me and I knew that Heavenly Father wanted us to be a part of this small town. The thing is, Arizona doesn't really need another strong family, and they don't need another podiatrist. Maine needs both. And so when he was offered the job we accepted it. I have thought back to that moment in the chapel many times as doubt has crept in and I ask myself, "Why on earth are we doing this?!?!!" And then I inevitably feel peace about what we have chosen. This General Conference address has also brought me a lot of peace and direction for our particular situation.

So years from now when my children ask me what brought our family to Maine, I can tell them this story.

5 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I'm so excited for you! I hope it turns out to be everything you're hoping for. It's always comforting when you receive those peaceful feelings that confirm your instincts. I feel like that about our next move. I haven't been there in person, but from the very beginning it felt "right". Cheers to Leaps of Faith!

Matt and Erin said...

Wow, Sara! Maine looks beautiful! I went there once when I was a kid, and it left a distinct impression on me that I haven't forgotten. It was beautiful. Congrats on making the big decision and the new job offer. You have great insights--one's that I too think about at times.

If your travels warrant you stopping in Indiana, your family is welcome to crash at our house anytime. We've got room. :)

Maryann said...

Oh, Sara, I'm so happy for you. Thank you for sharing your feelings. This is beautiful. Someday I will visit you. Good luck with the move. I'm not looking forward to all of those moving details for our family....

Amy said...

Sara, this is a little funny because I don't know you, but a lady in the Rockland ward told me about you and WE are moving to that area in the spring TOO!! I found your husband on Facebook (and your blog there) and wrote him a quick note. I'm running out the door or I'd explain myself better, but it's all in the FB message :) Looking forward to seeing you guys in Maine!!

Boni said...

Wow! Good luck to you guys in Maine! So glad you got that peaceful feeling to know that it is right, what a blessing. :)