Friday, January 2, 2015

Christmas 2014

Christmas Jammies, Dec. 24, 2014.
Christmas 2014 was the first year that, aside from getting together with friends in morning to decorate cookies, our little family spent the holiday with just the six of us. I wasn't sure how it would all end up going down (i.e. would I get desperately home/friend sick during those two days?), but we looked for to spending time with one another. And while we did miss our family and friends over those few days, we had a really nice time together. We took the kids to the park on Christmas Eve and just let them play and ride bikes until the sun went down (thanks AZ sun!). Then, instead of heading home to cook our usual Mexican feast, we headed to Cafe Rio and let them cook it for us instead--it was awesome!. No clean-up and everyone was happy.

Christmas day we spent the whole day playing and building (Legos) and eating and just hanging out (confession: I didn't even take a shower!). We ate a nice meal that I had mostly prepped days before so I didn't have to spend hours in the kitchen. I was worried that this would be the first Christmas of pure disappointment because none of my kids were getting anything with an "i" in front of it (they all had primarily electronics on their initial Christmas lists. When I told them that wasn't going to happen, they revised the lists to include Legos and action figures). Luckily, all three of the older ones declared it, "the best Christmas ever!" just like they do every year. I'm sure that won't last forever so I am clinging to those words as long as I can.

I love this time of year and I'm always a little bit sad when it's over, but I think January can bring an excitement all it's own. We aren't celebrating the birth of our Savior, but we are celebrating new beginnings and new resolutions to be more like Him. I have high hopes for 2015. I can't wait to see what this next year brings.

No comments: