Saturday, September 6, 2014

Davis' Accident

Photo taken Aug. 2014 by Becky Payne.

Yesterday we had a near-death experience with Davis. And I don't mean that figuratively. He literally almost died due to a crazy accident. As you might imagine, it was the scariest moment of my life and one that I have replayed over and over in my mind a thousand times since it took place yesterday morning. I'm sharing it in hopes that you will educate your kids a little bit better than I did so that something similar never happens in your home. 

Yesterday morning after walking Isaac and Maddie to school, Davis and I were talking about our day. I told him that some new friends were going to come over to play. Thrilled with the idea, he said he was going to get the step stool so he could watch out the window for them to come. I told them that sounded like a great idea and that I would meet him in the living room after I used the bathroom. It's hard to say exactly how much time passed while I was using the bathroom, but my best guess is somewhere between 60 seconds and two minutes passed before I walked into the living room to see if I could help Davis open the blinds. I asked him a couple of questions as I was walking toward him, when I suddenly glanced down to see that he wasn't standing on the step stool--he had wrapped the blinds cord around his neck and was suspended in the air, hanging completely still and unresponsive, his back toward me. 

The next few seconds are kind of a blur, but I quickly unwrapped the cord from around his neck (which, by the way, are safety blinds---not the old-school loop kind that used to be so dangerous. He can't reach them from the ground but while standing on the stool they were easily accessible. He tied them just tight enough and in the exact spot to be deadly). Almost immediately his head fell back toward my shoulder and he opened his eyes and took a breath. 

The next few minutes were filled with tears, prayers, phone calls, and gratitude as we realized that our Davis was going to be ok. Below is a video that Ryan took this morning, about 24 hours after the incident. You can see the rope burn all the way around his neck. 

It has been a little bit hard for my 4-year-old to articulate exactly what happened, but from what he has told me (and the nature of the cord burn on his neck), he climbed up on the step stool, wrapped the cord completely around his neck one time, and while doing so, lost his balance and slipped off the step. The cord was placed just so around his neck that it choked him. He doesn't remember anything after that until he regained consciousness in my arms. I will never forget when he prayed that afternoon and said, "Thank you, Heavenly Father, for protecting me during my accident." 

Please talk to your children about the dangers of putting things like this around their necks. And make sure that the cords aren't accessible to them if at all possible. 



I am overwhelmed with emotion every time I think about how this story could have had a very different ending. Ryan and I feel very grateful to our Heavenly Father that we get to have Davis with us. I know angels were watching over him and I hope and pray I can use this experience to make me a more compassionate and loving person and mother. 


6 comments:

Mark and Aupreille said...

Oh I am so glad you were able to find Davis in time! So truly terrifying. You have given me our lesson for FHE.

Ashley said...

Oh. My. Word. Girl!!!!!! I was tearing up reading this post with horror and relief and gratitude for you too!! How quickly life can change for us without ever expecting it. I am so grateful you were able to SAVE Him and that he's okay and wow. I am just so relieved and will definitely be talking to Gavin about this tomorrow. So so so glad he's okay!!!!!

Ashley said...

Ps Davis' cord burn looks so painful! How sad and crazy and relieved I am though. Ugh!

Andrea said...

Sara, I can't seem to find the right words to express the thoughts that came as I read your email and post. It's interesting to me that I called you that day and that we hadn't talked for months. I couldn't get you off my brain and now I know why. My gut aches for you and Davis and your whole family. I am so grateful to our Heavenly Father for sending a guardian angel for Davis. I have always been paranoid of this exact thing as I had a friend who lost his son this way. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and increasing awareness. There have been many times I've been off doing something else (gone longer than your 30 second to one minute bathroom break) and assumed kids were fine. Usually they are, but not always. I am grateful for the mother you are and that you knew where you needed to be at that moment. I love you and your family!

Chrissy Jo said...

I am in shock! I'm so very glad everyone is okay. I'm sending you my life and prayers.

Chrissy Jo said...

*thoughts and prayers